Preface Sudhakar Selvaraj, Paolo Brambilla and Jair C. Soares
Part I. General:
1. Brain imaging methods in mood disorders Sudhakar Selvaraj, Paolo Brambilla and Jair Soares
Part II. Anatomical Studies:
2. Neuroanatomical findings in unipolar depression and the role of the hippocampus Danilo Arnone
3. Neuroanatomical findings in bipolar disorder Colm MacDonald and Giulia Tronchin
4. Neuroimaging biomarkers in pediatric mood disorders Manpreet Singh, Mary Melissa Packer and Whitney Tang
Part III. Functional and Neurochemical Brain Studies:
5. Brain imaging of reward dysfunction in unipolar and bipolar disorders Poornima Kumar, Yueyi Jiang and Alexis E. Whitton
6. Resting state functional connectivity in unipolar depression Gong QY and Ziqi Chen
7. Functional connectome in bipolar disorder Amit Anand and Jungwon Cha
8. Magnetic resonance spectroscopy investigations of bioenergy and mitochondrial function in mood disorders Perry Renshaw and Brent M. Kious
9. Imaging glutamatergic and GABAergic abnormalities in mood disorders Rodrigo Machado-Viera, Estêvão Scotti-Muzzi, Maria Concepcion Garcia Otaduy and Márcio Gerhardt Soeiro-de-Souza
10. Neuroimaging brain inflammation in mood disorders Jeffery Meyer
Part IV. Novel Approaches in Brain Imaging:
11. Imaging genetic and epigenetic markers in mood disorders Francesco Benedetti, Sara Poletti, Elena Mazza and Benedetta Vai
12. FMRI neurofeedback as treatment for depression David Linden and Leon Skottnik
13. Functional near-infrared spectroscopy studies in mood disorders Koji Matsuo and Toshio Matsubara
14. Electrophysiological biomarkers for mood disorders Raymond Cho, Nithya Ramakrishnan, Nicholas Murphy and Sudhakar Selvaraj
15. Magnetoencephalograhy (MEG) studies in mood disorders Allison Nugent
16. An overview of machine learning applications in mood disorders Benson Mwangi, Natasha Topolski and Su Hyun Jeong
Part V. Therapeutic Applications of Neuroimaging in Mood Disorders:
17. Effects of lithium on brain structure in bipolar disorder Philip Szeszko, Jasmine Kaur and Vivian Kafantaris
18. Molecular imaging of dopamine and antipsychotics in bipolar disorder Sameer Jauhar
19. Neuroimaging studies of effects of psychotherapy in depression Prof Philip Cowen, Beata R. Godlewska and Sudhakar Selvaraj
20. Imaging the effects of psychotherapy in mood disorders Thomas Meyer and Isabelle Bauer.
Mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder are common mental illnesses, affecting millions of patients worldwide. The application of newly available brain imaging methods to the study of mood disorders holds substantial promise in uncovering the brain mechanisms affected in these illnesses. This comprehensive and authoritative text features contributions from leading international experts, providing easily accessible information on the study of the brain mechanisms involved in the causation of mood disorders and the available treatments. Topics covered include the potential of magnetoencephalography (MEG), neuroimaging brain inflammation in depression, electrophysiology studies in mood disorders, and the applications of machine learning, filling an important gap in available neuropsychiatric literature and highlighting new developments. An invaluable resource for practitioners in the fields of psychiatry, neurology, primary care medicine, and related mental health professions, as well as researchers, students, graduate and post-graduate trainees.
- Much needed comprehensive textbook on a rapidly growing and important new area of investigation in neuropsychiatry
- Featuring a broad array of topics and providing a single source of comprehensive information on imaging in mood disorders
- Leading experts in mood disorders present the most authoritative research and clinical evidence base and reliable data based on a variety of research experiences
Sudhakar Selvaraj, UTHealth School of Medicine, USA
Sudhakar Selvaraj is an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Louis A. Faillace, M.D. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston.
Paolo Brambilla, Università degli Studi di Milano
Paolo Brambilla is an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Milan and Director of the Psychiatric Clinic at Fondazione IRCCS Ca' Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico in Milan in Italy.
Jair C. Soares, UT Harris County Psychiatric Center, USA
Jair C. Soares is Professor and Chairman of the Louis A. Faillace, M.D. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, and Pat R. Rutherford, Junior Chair in Psychiatry at the McGovern Medical School and Executive Director at Harris County Psychiatric Center at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston.