Prehospital Care of Neurologic Emergencies is a reliable and definitive resource for emergency medical services personnel at multiple levels: physicians, paramedics, nurses and others who encounter these critically ill patients. This focused and succinct book addresses the management of a wide range of neurologic emergencies, including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, strokes, and seizures. In these emergencies time is critical, and the simply presented, straightforward format of the patient care and management recommendations help readers to treat patients rapidly and confidently. Each chapter follows a standard format that includes an overview of each neurologic emergency, important background, key challenges, and areas requiring future investigation. This book is unlikely to be placed on your bookshelf; instead, you will keep it nearby for times when you face life-threatening neurologic emergencies. When seconds count, this book has the answers.
· Presents complex information in a concise format, helping readers
to find answers quickly
· Includes practical recommended treatment plans which aid readers in managing patients quickly and accurately
· A focused literature review supports these recommendations, pointing interested readers to the best sources of further evidence
1. Lightheadedness and dizziness Richard B. Utarnachitt
2. Headache Michael G. Millin and Jeffrey Kell
3. Seizures and epilepsy Robert Silbergleit and M. Kay Vonderschmidt
4. Stroke and transient ischemic attack Stephanie A. Crapo, John M. Wooten and Jane H. Brice
5. Spinal cord injury J. Stephen Huff and Eric Jaeger
6. Traumatic brain injury Gregory P. Schaefer and Terry A. Taylor
7. Altered mental status Hollynn Larrabee and Leslie Willard
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Todd Crocco, West Virginia University
Todd Crocco, MD is a Professor and Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV, USA.
Michael Sayre, University of Washington
Michael Sayre, MD is Professor, Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
Richard B. Utarnachitt, Michael G. Millin, Jeffrey Kell, Robert Silbergleit, M. Kay Vonderschmidt, Stephanie A. Crapo, John M. Wooten, Jane H. Brice, J. Stephen Huff, Eric Jaeger, Gregory P. Schaefer, Terry A. Taylor, Hollynn Larrabee, Leslie Willard