Core Topics in Thoracic Surgery provides accessible and concise coverage of the topics most often encountered in thoracic surgery practice. This handbook will guide the reader through revision of the topics covered in the FRCS(CTh) examination, and also covers more specialist topics in detail. In-depth technical sections offer guidance for difficult procedures, with useful commentaries from leading surgeons. A broad range of thoracic surgery issues are examined, with the latest evidence and information relevant to the speciality presented in a clear fashion. Combining an easy-to-use revision guide for trainees and a comprehensive reference text for cardiothoracic surgeons and recently appointed consultants, this is a one-stop guide to thoracic surgery. Authored by leading experts in the field, this resource will be invaluable to cardiothoracic surgeons, respiratory physicians and specialist nurses seeking to refresh or expand their knowledge of this field.
- Based on the FRCS(CTh) curriculum, so provides targeted revision guidance for topics needed to pass the specialist training exam
- In-depth technical sections for complex procedures are included, with detailed commentaries from leading surgeons
- Provides comprehensive coverage of the field, making this an essential text for practitioners of thoracic surgery at all levels of experience
Part I. Diagnostic Work-Up of the Thoracic Surgery Patient:
1. Lung function assessment John E. Pilling
2. Endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound for mediastinal staging Robert C. Rintoul and Nicholas R. Carroll
3. Staging of lung cancer: mediastinoscopy and VATS Gaetano Rocco and Giuseppe De Luca
4. Access to the chest cavity: safeguards and pitfalls Laura Socci and Antonio E. Martin-Ucar
Part II. Upper Airway:
5. Therapeutic bronchoscopy Keyvan Moghissi
6. Tracheal stenosis, masses and tracheoesophageal fistula Timothy M. Millington and Douglas J. Mathisen
Part III. Benign Conditions of the Lung:
7. Congenital and developmental lung malformations Naziha Khen-Dunlop, Guillaume Lezmi, Christophe Delacourt and Yann Revillon
8. Lung volume reduction surgery for the treatment of advanced emphysema Nathaniel Marchetti and Gerard J. Criner
9. Surgical aspects of infectious conditions of the lung Elaine Teh and Elizabeth Belcher
10. Treatment of hemoptisis Odiri Eneje and Katharine Hurt
Part IV. Malignant Conditions of the Lung:
11. Evaluation of solitary pulmonary nodule Dustin M. Walters and David R. Jones
12. Lung cancer staging Bilal H. Kirmani and Aman S. Coonar
13. Pathologic consideration in lung malignancy Doris M. Rassl
14. Medical treatment of lung cancer (neo and adjuvant chemoradiotherapy) Athanasios G. Pallis and Mary E. R. O'Brien
15. Superior vena cava obstruction: etiology, clinical presentation and principles of treatment Federico Venuta, Marco Anile, Miriam Patella and Erino A. Rendina
16. Robotics in thoracic surgery Marlies Keijzers, Peyman Sardari Nia and Jos G. Maessen
17. Pulmonary metastasectomy Michel Gonzalez, Jean Yannis Perentes and Thorsten Krueger
Part V. Diseases of the Pleura:
18. Tube thoracostomy: evidence-based management of chest drains following pulmonary surgery Alessandro Brunelli
19. Primary spontaneous pneumothorax Giuseppe Cardillo, Gerard Ngome Enang, Francesco Carleo, Bernardo Ciamberlano, Pasquale Ialongo, Aldo Morrone and Massimo Martelli
20. Bronchopleural fistula management Steven M. Woolley and Susannah M. Love
Part VI. Diseases of the Chest Wall and Diaphragm:
21. Surgery for pectus and other congenital chest wall disorders Jakub Kadlec, Jean-Marie Wihlm and Aman S. Coonar
22. Eventration, central bilateral diaphragmatic paralysis, and congenital hernia in adults Françoise Le Pimpec-Barthes, Pierre Mordant, Alex Arame, Alain Badia, Ciprian Pricopi, Anne Hernigou and Marc Riquet
Part VII. Disorders of the Esophagus:
23. Benign esophageal disease Donn H. Spight and Mithran S. Sukumar
24. Esophageal cancer Gail Darling
25. Esophageal perforation Michael J. Shackcloth and George John
Part VIII. Other Topics:
26. Thoracic trauma Gregor J. Kocher and Ralph A. Schmid
27. Thoracic sympathectomy in the treatment of hyperhidrosis John Agzarian and Yaron Shargall.
Marco Scarci, University College London Hospital
Marco Scarci is a Consultant Thoracic Surgeon at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge.
Aman Coonar, Papworth Hospital
Aman Coonar is a Consultant Thoracic Surgeon at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge.
Tom Routledge, Guy’s Hospital
Tom Routledge is a Consultant Thoracic Surgeon at Guy's Hospital, London.
Francis Wells is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge.