An introduction to what is arguably the most exciting and fastest-growing branch of pharmaceutical science at the present time: the treatment of disease using biological medicines derived from living plant and animal tissues.
All categories of biological therapeutics are covered in this comprehensive overview. Chapter features include:
- historical introductions
- an overview of the drugs and their mechanisms of action and uses
- examples of adverse reactions
- case studies
This book is essential reading for medical and pharmacy students, as well as practitioners and prescribers aiming to keep up to date with the latest developments in biological medicines.
1. Introduction to Genetic Manipulation
3. Hormone-related Drugs
4. The Nature of Inflammation and Mediators of Inflammation
5. Autoimmunity and Autoimmune Diseases
6. Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Other Inflammatory disorders with Biological Drugs
7. Development of Biological Antineoplastic Drugs
8. Stem Cell Therapy