"This book serves as an ideal tool for assisting APNs in gaining an understanding of the process of outcomes assessment.[A] useful resource for APN students, researchers, educators, and administrators." --Gail L. Ingersoll, EdD, RN, FAAN
Director, Center for Outcomes Measurement and Practice Innovation, Loretta Ford Professor of Nursing, University of Rochester Medical Center (From the Foreword)
Measuring patient outcomes is arguably the most important job of the advanced practice nurse (APN)-yet conducting outcome assessment and selecting the appropriate instruments for measuring outcome continue to be a challenge, even to the best in the field.
This newly revised edition provides APNs with up-to-date resources and examples of outcome measures, tools, and methods that can be used to expand the APN's understanding of outcome assessment. The chapters outline numerous examples of practice-based outcome assessments, with detailed descriptions of how an assessment is conducted, as well as guidelines for identifying the proper instruments for measuring outcome.
New to this edition:
- An extensively updated literature review on outcome measurement
- A new chapter on outcomes assessment in primary care and ambulatory settings
- Guidelines for locating instruments and measures for assessment
- Information on an ongoing international initiative focusing on the development of an APN research data collection toolkit
Written for nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse
midwives, certified registered nurse anesthetists, and graduate level APNs,
this newly updated edition serves as an invaluable resource for APNs, regardless
of specialty area of practice or practice setting.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Gail Ingersoll
1. Measuring Outcomes in Advanced Practice Nursing
2. Analyzing Economic Outcomes in Advanced Practice Nursing
3. Selecting Advanced Practice Nurse Outcome Measures
4. General Design and Implementation Challenges in Outcomes Assessment
5. Locating Instruments and Measures for APN Outcome
6. Measuring Outcomes in Cardiovascular Advanced Practice Nursing
7. Ambulatory NP Outcomes
8. Assessing Outcomes of Clinical Nurse Specialist Practice
9. Outcomes Measurement in Nurse Midwifery Practice
10. Outcomes Assessment in Nurse Anesthesia
11. Resources to Facilitate APN Outcome Research
Ruth M. Kleinpell, PhD, RN, ACNP, CCRN, received her diploma in nursing from Luthern Medical Center School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio, and her baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees in nursing from the University of Illinois College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Kleinpell received her Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification at Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Kleinpell is a Teacher-Practitioner at Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes Medical Center; an Associate Professor at Rush University College of Nursing; and a Nurse Practitioner at Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Kleinpell is known for her work on outcomes research, and has presented and published in the areas of assessing outcomes of APN practice, outcomes research, and other areas of critical care nursing and advanced practice nursing.