Fast Facts for the ER Nurse is an orientation guide and reference, designed specifically for new ER nurses and the preceptors responsible for their orientation. The chapters provide a brief overview of equipment, treatments, and drugs used to manage common disorders and conditions frequently seen in the ER. Critical information presented in each chapter includes disorder definitions, signs and symptoms, interventions, and critical thinking questions.
With this guide, nurses can get the information they need fast in bullet-point lists. Each chapter is conveniently organized alphabetically by disease and disorder for quick access. The book serves as an organized, reliable, and thorough ER guide, ensuring a structured approach to orientation. All new ER nurses and their preceptors will find this book to be a reference they cannot do without.
Key topics covered include:
• Cardiovascular Emergencies
• Disaster Response Emergencies
• Infectious Disease Emergencies
• Mental Health Emergencies
• Shock and Multisystem Trauma Emergencies
• Substance Abuse and Toxicologic Emergencies
• And many more!
Jennifer R. Buettner, RN, is a full time Registered Nurse at Jasper Memorial Hospital in McDonough, GA. She has nine years of ER Experience and 3 years of experience precepting new graduate nurses and new employees in the ER. Jennifer is Certified in ACLS, PALS, TNCC, and as a Nurse Preceptor (Rockdale Medical Center/2005). . She won the Faculty Award for the graduate who "has achieved excellence in both the academic and clinical settings and who best exemplifies the total integration of program philosophy to professional performance" (5/2002). She has developed an ER Orientation Packet and Education Course for a local hospital.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 Tips on surviving ER Nursing
- Chapter 2 Acid-Base Imbalances
- Chapter 3 Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Chapter 4 Disaster Response Emergencies
- Chapter 5 Ear Nose and Throat Emergencies
- Chapter 6 Fluid & Electrolyte Imbalances
- Chapter 7 Gastrointestinal Emergencies
- Chapter 8 Genitourinary Emergencies
- Chapter 9 Geriatric Emergencies
- Chapter 10 Infectious Disease Emergencies
- Chapter 11 Mental Health Emergencies
- Chapter 12 Neurological Emergencies
- Chapter 13 OB GYN Emergencies
- Chapter 14 Ocular Emergencies
- Chapter 15 Orthopedic and Wound Care Emergencies
- Chapter 16 Pediatric Emergencies
- Chapter 17 Respiratory Emergencies
- Chapter 18 Shock and Multisystem Trauma Emergencies
- Chapter 19 Substance Abuse and Toxicologic Emergencies