Research Writing in Dentistry provides its readers with a uniquely practical guide to selecting, designing, and writing up a research project. Of particular use to the dental student, both pre- and post-doctoral, this is a no-nonsense guide that presents concrete advice and information that can be absorbed quickly and effectively. By asking simple questions, the useful book enables readers to develop, analyze and present a program of research work.
Research Writing in Dentistry begins with the basic principles of research: what it is and how to select a topic and plan a program. It then moves on to discuss study design, methods and materials, presenting results and undertaking a literature review. It concludes with a section on basic statistics and analysis. Precepts and guidance are illustrated throughout with examples from dentistry.
Table of Contents
PART I. Organizing, Writing and Performing Dental Research.
- Chapter 1 Introduction.
- Chapter 2 What is research?
- Chapter 3 Research planning.
- Chapter 4 Performing research.
- Chapter 5 How to design a research study.
- Chapter 6 Non-bench Research.
- Chapter 7 Sources of Error and Avoiding the "Whoops" Factor.
- Chapter Chapter 8 Reports, dissertations and papers.
- Chapter 9 The Literature review.
- Chapter 10 Methods and materials.
- Chapter 11 Results.
- Chapter 12 Discussion.
- Chapter 13 Conclusions.
- Chapter 14 The Abstract.
- Chapter 15 Writing Style and Technique.
- Chapter 16 Getting published.
PART II. Statistics and Statistical Analysis.
- Chapter 17 Basic statistics.
- Chapter 18 Data and data distributions.
- Chapter 19 Averages (measures of central tendency).
- Chapter 20 Measures of dispersion.
- Chapter 21 Probability and the Normal curve.
- Chapter 22 Presentation of data.
- Chapter 23 Comparing sample means.
- Chapter 24 Student's "t" test.
- Chapter 25 Analysis of variance.
- Chapter 26 Power analysis.
- Chapter 27 Multiple comparisons.
- Chapter 28 Chi square (P2) test.
- Chapter 29 Correlation and regression.
- Chapter 30 Weibull analysis.
- Chapter 31 Ranking tests.
- Chapter 32 Suggestions for further reading.