A volume in the Contemporary Perspectives in Rehabilitation Series, edited by Steven L. Wolf, PhD, PT, FAPTA.
Here’s a current, concise, and evidence-based approach to the selection, application, and biophysical effects of therapeutic modalities in a case-based format with a wealth of photographs and figures.
The 6th Edition builds and expands on the strengths of previous editions and their focus on expanding and strengthening clinical decision-making skills through a hands-on, problem-solving approach.
- Evidence-based content presents standards of care that you can build upon as new research appears.
- “Clinical Controversy” boxes offer different opinions on the appropriate use of modalities.
- ”Points for Decision Making” boxes promote problem-solving and critical thinking.
- Question-driven case studies with provide you with rationales to select and apply to therapeutic modalities.
- Illustrations, photographs, and graphs bring the text to life and familiarize you with the equipment you’ll need to know when you enter your clinical rotations.
- Important facts, highlighted in each chapter, prepare you for tests on the clinical application of the modality.
- “Key Word Literature Searches” and “Websites for Literature for Evidence” boxes enhance your understanding of research and evidence.
New to this Edition
- Completely enhanced, revised and updated throughout to reflect the science and practice of therapeutic interventions.
- Two new chapters! Mechanisms of Pain and Use of Therapeutic Modalities Therapeutic Modalities for Improving Range of Motion
- Advanced coverage of electrotherapy, encompassing conventional uses of electrical currents and electrotherapeutic interventions
- Full color throughout.
- Additional “Key Points” and “Clinical Controversies” boxes throughout the text.
- Updated and revised decision-based case studies.
I. Introduction to Therapeutic Modalities
1. Therapeutic Modalities Past, Present, and Future: Their Role in the Patient Care Management Model
II. Types of Modalities
2. Cold Therapy Modalities
3. Therapeutic Heat
4. Therapeutic Ultrasound
5. Hydrotherapy: The Use of Water as a Therapeutic Agent
6. Electromagnetic Waves - Laser, Diathermy, and Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields
7. Spinal Traction
8. Intermittent Pneumatic Compression
9. Foundations of Clinical Electrotherapy
10. Clinical Electrical Stimulation: Application and Techniques
III. Clinical Applications of Modalities
11. Mechanisms of Pain and Use of Therapeutic Modalities
12. Therapeutic Modalities ffor Tissue Healing
13. Electrotherapy for Musculoskeletal Disorders
14. NMES and FES in Patients With Neurological Diagnoses
15. Therapeutic Modalities for Tissue Healing
16. Alternative Modalities for Pain and Tissue Healing
17. Electrophysiological Testing of Nerves and Muscles