Advance your career to the next level of professional practice!
Build on your prior nursing experiences. Here are all the theories and concepts you need to progress from RN to BSN and beyond. From timely topics, such as JCAHO’s safety initiatives, to healthcare reform and global issues, this popular text helps you continue your education and reach the next level of professional practice.
Explore the challenges and issues that are changing the field of nursing. Then apply them to the situations you encounter in practice today . . . and to the challenges you’ll encounter tomorrow.
Perfect for both classroom-based and online courses!
Access more online.
Redeem the Plus Code inside new, printed texts to access a wealth of resources online at DavisPlus, including the Davis Digital Version, your complete text online, and learning activities.
- Coverage of The Joint Commission’s initiatives and roles in accreditation.
- Issues from the American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE) and magnet status.
- Discussions on delegation and how it relates to the management of unlicensed assistive personnel.
- All of the critical components of professional nursing practice, including effective communication, professional ethics, leadership, group theory, teaching/ learning, and multicultural issues.
- Quantum physics theory and its relevance to nursing care.
- Nanotechnology and genomics and how they affect nursing.
- Data element sets and terminologies recognized by ANA.
- Staffing issues related to safety.
- Coverage of domestic violence issues.
- NEW! Davis Digital Version, the complete text online at DavisPlus. Quickly search for the content you need. Add notes, highlights, and bookmarks.
- UPDATED & REVISED! Thoroughly updated and revised to reflect the issues affecting the practice of nursing today.
- NEW! Coverage of recently passed federal laws on providing and paying for health care, including the Affordable Care Act and Accountable Care Organizations.
- NEW! Four color design
- NEW! New concepts on group process, change theory, health promotion initiatives, informatics, health care economics, health care reform and global issues
Table of Contents
I. Professional Bases for Practice
1. Your Professional Identity
2. Theory as the Basis for Practice?
3. Evolution and Use of Formal Nursing Knowledge
4. Health, Illness, and Holism
5. Evidence-Based Practice
II. Critical Abilities in Professional Nursing Practice
6. Effective Communication
7. Critical Thinking
8. Working with Groups
9. The Teaching-Learning Process
10. Managing and Leading in the Organization
11. Change and Innovation
12. Professional Ethics
III. Quality Care for Individuals, Families & Groups
13. Quality and Safety in Healthcare
14. Population Heath
15. Informatics and Documenting Outcomes
16. Economics and Healthcare Policy
17. The Politically Active Nurse: An Imperative
18. Healthcare Reform and Global Issues
19. Expanding the Vision
A. Professional Nursing Organizations
B. Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC) and Nursing Outcomes Classifications (NOC) Systems