Be prepared for the culturally rich and diverse world of healthcare!
This concise, easy-to-read handbook prepares you to relate to individuals from different cultures. Use it in class and clinical now and as a reference throughout your career.
The Purnell Model is your guide as you explore 34 different cultures and the issues that you need to be sensitive to…including cultural variations regarding personal space, dietary preferences, communication, symptom management, activities of daily living, and religious and health practices.
· Discusses the Purnell Model’s 12 domains of Culturally Competent
Care and examines how they apply to all ethnic groups.
· Highlights specific instructions, guidelines, tips, warnings, intervention strategies, and approaches.
New to this Edition
· NEW! Four brand-new chapters…Barriers to Culturally Competent
Health Care, Nigerian, Polish, and Thai.
· REVISED & ENHANCED! Significantly revised chapters…Amercian Indian/Alaska Native and Asian Indian.
· NEW! Bibliography that lists the author’s research and reference sources.
· NEW! Assessment Application Checklist online at DavisPlus to help readers apply Purnell’s Model for Cultural Competence to clinical practice.
Table of Contents
1. Diversity and Health Care
2. Purnell Model
3. Barriers to Culturally Competent Health Care
4. African American
5. American Indian/Alaskan Native
11. European American
24. Puerto Rican
Bonus Chapters Online at DavisPlus
33. French Canadian