Written specifically for PTAs!
Develop the clinical decision-making skills you need to be a successful PTA. This easy-to-follow approach helps you learn how to successfully relate thermal, mechanical, and electrical modalities with specific therapeutic goals while understanding all of the physiologic ramifications.
Drawing from the APTA’s Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, this text will enable you to make the connection between a modality and the appropriate treatment interventions as part of a comprehensive, successful physical therapy treatment program.
Explore MORE online at DavisPlus!
The Plus Code, inside new, printed texts, unlocks your Davis Digital Version, your complete text online.
- Illustrated, user-friendly design helps you think more critically as a therapist and strengthen the concepts that are critical to your success.
- Content focuses on functional outcomes and the importance of documentation.
- Case studies and checklists for application procedures foster decision-making skills.
- Patient scenarios outline utilization of modality, and include documentation, safety features, information about the patient that would alter treatment, what should be done after the modality, and where the modality fits into the treatment plan.
- Up-to-date information covers patient education strategies, study charts for patients to complete, home care considerations, and suggested study ideas for groups or individuals.
- Terminology reflects the APTA's Guide to Physical Therapist Practice.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Davis Digital Version—Redeem the Plus Code inside new, printed texts to access your complete text online. Quickly search for the content you need. Add notes, highlights, and bookmarks.
- NEW! A text and lab manual in one resource offers opportunities for you to practice your new skills.
- NEW! Full color throughout!
- NEW! Indications and contraindications for each modality provide you with a resource you can use in clinical.
- EXPANDED! Increased focus on functional outcomes includes the rationale behind why meaningful documentation is critical to patient success.
- NEW! Quick reference section features commonly-used abbreviations and acronyms, units of measure, and conversion charts.
- NEW! Guided lab activities demonstrate concepts mentioned in the text.
- NEW! Sample assignments for implementing evidence-based practice into the study of Physical Agents incorporate clinical instructors into the discussion.
- NEW! Sample discussion points show you how to approach clinicians who are hesitant to accept physical agents into their clinical practice or discuss the potential for its use with their patients.
Table of Contents
· The Concept of Adjunctive Therapies
1. Evidence-Based Practice with Physical Agents
2. Tissue Response to Injury
3. Patient Responses to Therapeutic Interventions
· Thermal and Mechanical Agents
4. Therapeutic Heat and Cold
5. Therapeutic Ultrasound and Phonophoresis
6. Aquatics and Hydrotherapy
7. Soft Tissue Treatment Techniques: Traction
8. Soft Tissue Management Techniques: Compression and Edema Management
9. Soft Tissue Management Techniques: Massage
10. Electromagnetic Radiation: Diathermy, Ultraviolet, and Laser
· Electrical Stimulation for Therapeutic Treatment Goals
11. Foundations of Electrical Stimulation and Iontophoresis
12. Electrodes and Lead Wires: Material and Care
13. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation
14. Electrical Stimulation for Tissue Repair
15. Pain Management with Electrical Stimulation
16. Interferential Current Therapy in Clinical Practice
· Comprehensive Approach to Treatment
17. Integration of Physical Agents: Clinical Decision Making