A classic reborn for its Golden Anniversary.
Now celebrating its 50 years in print, this text has held onto the foundation of its great success, while also being re-invented for today’s audience. The focus of this text remains the practical instruction of functional anatomy in order to quickly, and convincingly, guide readers to its use in professional performance. This text is filled with modern applications that will show your students the relevance of foundational material to their future careers.
An all-new author team of expert instructors Peggy Houglum and Dolores Bertoti, a brand-new, full-color design, and new learning and teaching resources online at DavisPlus all make the field's gold standard more valuable than ever as it prepares readers to apply theory to clinical practice.
- Links theoretical concepts to their practical applications with Practice Points boxes.
- Examines the properties of bone, cartilage, ligaments, and fascia.
- Emphasizes the kinesiologic issue best illustrated for each region of the body.
- Discusses joints, ligaments, end-feels, accessory joint motion, the innervation and anatomical actions of muscles, and applications of mechanical and physiological principles.
New to this Edition
- Introduces a new author team, Peggy A. Houglum, PhD, ATC, PT and Dolores Bertoti, MS, PT, noted educators, practitioners, and authors.
- Brings important concepts to life with a new, full-color design, new, larger, page size, and hundreds of new photographs and illustrations.
- Offers new learning and teaching resources online at DavisPlus.
- Integrates many new clinical examples and functional, clinically relevant laboratory activities throughout the text.
- Presents new clinical scenarios (with solutions) in each chapter.
- Features three, brand-new chapters, Kinesiological Applications in Daily Functional Activities, Kinesiology Applications of Upper Extremity Activities of Daily Living, and Sports and Recreation.
- · Includes a glossary of important words and terms.
Table of Contents
· Basic Concepts
1. Basic Concepts in Kinesiology: Kinematics
2. Mechanical Principles: Kinetics
3. The Movement System: Nerve and Muscle Physiology and the Control of Human Movement
4. Muscle Activity and Strength
· Upper Quarter
5. Shoulder Complex
6. Elbow and Forearm Complex
7. Wrist and Hand
8. Head, Neck and Trunk
· Lower Quarter
9. Pelvis and Hip
11. Ankle and Foot
· Functional Activities
12. Stance and Gait
13. Kinesiology Applications in Daily Functional Activities
14. Kinesiology Applications of Upper Extremity Activities of Daily Living
15. Sports and Recreation