Here is the physical therapy management book you have been looking for. Written in an engaging experiential style, this three-part text will prepare you to effectively manage your responsibilities as a therapist and to take your first steps as a manager.
You’ll begin with a brief, yet broad foundation of basic management theories and an overview of the U.S. health care system. Section 2 addresses the major responsibilities of all physical therapist managers in all settings of practice. Section 3 devotes a chapter to each of the practice setting and addresses the unique managerial challenges found in each.
- Features a model for strategic planning which encourages and provides guidelines for managerial decision-making skills.
- Presents a practical, step-by-step feasibility study that can be built upon to create a business plan.
- Addresses all of the management expectations identified in CAPTE • The Guide to Physical Therapist Practice • and Normative Model for Physical Therapy Education.
- Devotes separate chapters to each physical therapy practice setting—unique to this book.
- Includes learning activities, managerial decision-making exercises, side bars, and web links.
Table of Contents
I. Introduction to Management and Physical Therapy in Health Care
1. Management in Health Care
2. Health Care Organizations and Physical Therapy
3. Leadership, management, and Physical Therapy
4. Introduction to Health Care as a Unique Insurance-Based Business
II. Responsibilities of the Physical Therapy Manager
5. Responsibility for Vision, Mission, and Goal Setting
6. Responsibility for Policies and Procedures
7. Marketing Responsibilities
8. Staffing Responsibilities
9. Responsibility for patient care
10. Fiscal Responsibilities
11. Responsibility for Risk Management
12. Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
13. Communication Responsibilities
III. Management in Specific Physical Therapy Settings
15. Management Issues in Long-Term Care
16. Management Issues in Outpatient Centers
17. Management Issues in School-Based Services
18. Management Issues in Home Care Organizations
19. Management Issues in Inpatient Hospitals and Health Systems
20. Commentary on the Physical Therapist as Manager