Pain is a pervasive symptom present in multiple areas of medicine. It is imperative that physicians not only evaluate and diagnose the source of pain, but that they also recognize how to manage the actual pain symptoms with effective treatment. This text is a useful reference for all those wanting to enhance their knowledge of pain therapies.
Covering both pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic approaches to treatment, this text provides updates on the most recent developments in the management of pain. These developing treatment strategies include information on potential drug-drug and drug-disease interactions, patient controlled analgesia devices, and the emergence of continuous catheter techniques. This comprehensive text also addresses pain management issues in special populations such as pediatric, opioid tolerant, and elderly patients. Ultimately, this text is an essential guide for clinicians administering to patients with acute pain.
1. The Anatomy of Postoperative Pain
2. The Neurobiology of Acute Pain
3. Local Anesthetics in the Management of Acute Postoperative Pain
4. NSAIDS in the Management of Acute Pain
5. Opioids in the Management of Acute Pain
6. Patient Controlled Analgesia in the Management of Acute Pain
7. Authorised Agent Controlled Analgesia
8. Alpha2 Agonists in the Management of Acute Pain
9. Non Pharmacologic Modalities for the Acute of Acute Pain
10. Perioperative Epidural Analgesia and Patient Controlled Epidural Analgesia
11. Upper Extremity Regional Anaesthetic Techniques in the Management of Post Operative Pain
12. Lower Extremity Anesthetic Techniques in the Management of Postoperative Pain
13. Continuous Peripheral Nerve Catheter Techniques
14. Anticoagulation Guidelines in the Regional and Neuraxial Anesthesia
15. Pediatric Acute Pain - Diagnosis and Treatment
16. Pain Management in the Trauma Patient
17. Pain in the Obstretic Patient
18. Perioperative Care of the Opioid Tolerant Patient
19. Pain Management in the Elderly Postoperative Patient
Jennifer A. Elliott
Associate Professor, Dept of Anesthesiology, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, Saint Luke's Hospital of Kansas City
Academic Director Of Pain Management, Dept of Anesthesiology, Albany Medical School. He serves as editor-in-chief for Journal of Pain Research, Pain Physician, and Report on Interventional Pain Management.