The Third Edition will build on the success of the Second Edition. It will continue to be an anatomy and physiology text written specifically for massage students with updates to the art and new ancillaries.
- NEW! A consistent style within the art program to improve visual appeal
- NEW! Ancillaries: for-sale study guide, thePoint instructor and student resource sites
- NEW! The Third Edition will be streamlined so the content more closely aligns with a typical massage therapy A&P curriculum
- Case Studies: At the end of each chapter, short case scenarios demonstrate the applicability of chapter content to massage practice. Each case includes applicable questions.
- Massage Connection: This section appears at the end of each chapter. It includes a summary of how the chapter content relates specifically to massage.
- What Ails You? These boxes contain specific pathologies related to what massage therapists may encounter in their practice.
- Table Talk: Includes short interesting facts related to massage and anatomy
- Complementary modalities: Different technique descriptions such as rolfing, acupuncture/acupressure, etc.
- Assess Yourself! This box content contains relevant activities that students can try on themselves.
- Special Features:
- Surface Anatomy/Landmarks (Updated!): There will be a separate section identifying bony and surface landmarks of the body following chapter three. All images will be placed in one place for improved accessibility.
- Muscle Tables (Updated!): This popular feature in the Second Edition will be updated and improved for the Third Edition. It will still appear following chapter 4, the Muscular System, but will have a new layout, new updated images, and dynamic artwork showing muscle overlay.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Orientation to the Human Body
Chapter 2: The Integumentary System
Chapter 3: The Skeletal System
Chapter 4: The Muscular System
Chapter 5: The Nervous System
Chapter 6: The Endocrine System
Chapter 7: The Reproductive System
Chapter 8: The Cardiovascular System
Chapter 9: The Lymphatic System: Detail to come
Chapter 10: The Respiratory System: Detail to come
Chapter 11: The Digestive System: Detail to come
Chapter 12: The Urinary System
Appendix A: Common Medical Abbreviations, Prefixes, and Suffixes
Appendix B: Nutrition and the Massage Therapist: Info on vitamins, minerals, dietary guidelines relevant to MTs.
Kalyani Premkumar MBBS, MD, MSc, CMT, PhD
Center for Complementary Health Education, University of Calgary and Mount Royal College, Calgary, Canada