The Science of Paediatrics, MRCPCH Mastercourse, provides essential background preparation for the MRCPCH Theory and Science examination.
It contains an up-to-date review of the application of science to everyday paediatric clinical practice, whether it is interpreting clinical signs or investigations, prescribing drugs or identifying best management. Although this understanding is essential in order to make informed clinical decisions, it is diffi cult to obtain as it is not usually covered in clinical textbooks.
• MRCPCH exam-format questions embedded in each chapter to test understanding
• Emphasis on embryology to explain many congenital abnormalities
• An overview of the relevant anatomy and physiology
• Focus on the application and interpretation of investigations
• Examples of recent advances in science and clinical research that have benefi tted the children's care
• All clinical specialties covered by paediatric specialists.
• Chapters covering evidence-based paediatrics, statistics, ethics and quality improvement.
This book is "innovative and original in assisting the reader to apply
the principles of science to paediatric practice".
Professor Neena Modi, President, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
Introduction - The important role of science and research in paediatrics
Epidemiology and public health
History and examination
Normal child development
Developmental problems and the child with special needs
Paediatric emergencies and critical care
Accidents and poisoning
Growth and puberty
Infection and immunity
Emotions and behaviour
Diabetes and endocrinology
Hearing and balance
Global child health
Pharmacology and therapeutics
Evidence based paediatrics
Quality improvement and the clinician
Edited by Tom Lissauer, MB, BChir, FRCPCH, Honorary Consultant Paediatrician, Imperial College Healthcare Trust, London, UK and Will Carroll, MD MRCP MRCPCH Bm BCh BA MA(Oxon), Consultant Paediatrician, Derbyshire Children's Hospital, Derby