Now in its fourth edition, this definitive and popular introduction to human behaviour in the context of health and illness includes three new chapters, many new contributors and a new co-editor.
It is arranged in nine sections to cover the core concepts of psychology and sociology as they apply to medicine.
- The Life Cycle
- Development Of The Person
- Society And Health
- Preventing Illness And Promoting Health
- Illness, Behaviour And The Doctor-Patient Encounter
- Illness And Disability
- Coping With Illness And Disability
- Hoe Do Health Services Work
- How Do You Fit Into All This?
- Topics presented as self-contained double-page spreads.
- Cases throughout to reinforce understanding of important concepts.
- Boxes and discussion points throughout.
- The authors comprise psychologists, sociologists and doctors.
- Highly illustrated
New to this Edition
- 48 new contributors
- New co-editor, Gerry Humphris
- 3 new chapters:
- Malnutrition and obesity
- Urban nature health and well-being
- LGBT Health
By Edwin van Teijlingen, MA, MEd, PhD, Professor, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth, UK Honorary Professor, School of Health Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK Visiting Professor, Nobel College, Pokhara University, Kathmandu, Nepal Visiting Professor, Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Sciences, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal and Gerald M Humphris, PhD, MClinPsychol, BSc(Hons), Professor, Medical School, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, UK Honorary Consultant Clinical Psychologist, Edinburgh Cancer Centre, NHS Lothian, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK