• Comprehensive coverage of the principles of smell and the association between neural structure and practicalities of higher-order function • Outlines the future mental health possibilities and directions for research, diagnosis and treatment • Multidisciplinary, to cover the broad range of implications
- Forward Peter Doherty; Preface Warrick Brewer, David Castle and Christos Pantelis;
- Part I. Neurology, Neurophysiology and Neuropsychology - Olfactory Clues to Brain Development and Disorder: 1. Structure and function of the olfactory system Alan Mackay-Sim and Jean-Pierre Royet; 2. Olfaction and the temporal lobes Jelena Djordjevic and Marilyn Jones-Gotman; 3. Role of the insula in smell and disgust Mary Phillips and Maike Heining; 4. Memory of smells past Mikisha Doop, Christine Mohr, Bradley Folley, Warrick Brewer and Sohee Park; 5. Olfactory neurogenesis: a window on brain development François Féron, Richard McCurdy, John McGrath, Alan Mackay-Sim; 6. Olfactory processing and brain maturation Warrick Brewer, Stephen Wood, Cinzia De Luca and Christos Pantelis; 7. Probing behavior regulation: role for olfaction in addiction? Dan Lubman, Warrick Brewer and Murat Yucel;
- Part II. Social Functioning: Role of Evolution, Genetics and Gender: 8. Primate evolution: anatomy and olfaction Timothy Smith and James Rossie; 9. Genetics and family influences on olfaction Raquelle Mesholam-Gately and Larry Seidman; 10. Sex differences and olfactory function Kim Good and Lili Kopala; 11. Role of pheromones and chemistry: lessons from comparative anatomy Michael Stoddart; 12. The impact of olfaction on human social functioning Dolores Malaspina, Cheryl Corcoran and Nora Goudsmit;
- Part III. Assessment and Disorders of Olfaction: 13. Assessment of olfaction Richard Doty; 14. Olfaction and neuropsychiatric disorders: what can deficits tell us? Christos Pantelis and Warrick Brewer; 15. Olfaction in Parkinsonian syndromes: early prediction? Christopher Hawkes; 16. Olfaction in psychosis Paul Moberg and Bruce Turestsky; 17. Olfactory hallucinations Dennis Velakoulis; 18. Delusions of body malodour: the olfactory reference syndrome Katherine Phillips, Craig Gunderson, Uschi Gruber and David Castle.