Covering all the clinical topics required of a modern curriculum for medical students, this book guides the reader from accurate assessment of symptoms through to a structured and clear understanding of medical disorders. Each subject is approached in a problem-orientated style, and with the diagnostic possibilities considered in relation to their probability, context and range of associated features. A clinical description is included for each condition, together with its epidemiology, pathology, investigation, management and outcome. Chapters are preceded by lists of the conditions covered and an indication of whether these are relatively uncommon or very uncommon. The contents describe a logical sequence, beginning with the impact of genes on health and ending with sections devoted to the elderly and the dying patient. Where symptoms and signs are shared by multiple illnesses, an extensive cross-referencing system allows the reader to reach across the spectrum of diseases.
· Structured for the problem-orientated approach to modern medical training
· Includes easy-to-follow diagnosis and treatment algorithms
· Highly illustrated and fully cross-referenced for flexibility and ease of use
1. The genetic basis of disease Charulata Deshpande and Shirley Hodgson
2. Health promotion Alan Maryon-Davis
3. Gastrointestinal Bijay Baburajan and Terry Wong
4. Kidney James Pattison
5. Cardiovascular Derek Hausenloy, Diana Gorog and Michael Marber
6. Respiratory problems John Rees
7. Ear, nose and throat Rachael Hornigold, Simon Hogan and Michael Gleeson
8. Mental health Teifion Davies
9. Neurological Katia Cikurel, Leone Ridsdale and Lina Nashef
10. Eye Denise Mabey
11. Rheumatic Terence Gibson
12. Endocrine Jake Powrie
13. Toxicology Alison Jones
14. Genitourinary Andrew de Burgh Thomas and Jan Welch
15. Fever and infection Nicholas M. Price
16. Skin David McGibbon
17. Haematology Stephen Schey
18. The elderly patient Mark Kinirons
19. The critically ill Richard Leach
20. The dying patient Teresa Beynon.
About the Authors
Terence Gibson, Guy's & St Thomas' Hospitals, London
Terence Gibson is a Consultant Physician at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals Foundation Trust, London, UK.
John Rees, Guy's & St Thomas' Hospitals, London
John Rees is Professor of Medical Education at King's College London School of Medicine and a Consultant Physician at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals Foundation Trust, London, UK.