Color Atlas of Equine Pathology offers a practical guide to identifying equine diseases, presenting a single resource with more than 1000 images showing predominantly gross pathology. Organized by body systems, the book allows for picture matching during or after an equine necropsy. In this user-friendly atlas, each chapter takes a common format, presenting the disease process as well as congenital, degenerative, inflammatory, and neoplastic sequences, with text boxes offering quick reference to key information.
The book begins with an introductory chapter summarizing the principles of the equine field necropsy, and subsequent organ-based chapters depict gross features of disease, focusing on macroscopic digital images supplemented by histology and immunohistochemistry when necessary. Some clinical information for correlation with pathology is included. Color Atlas of Equine Pathology is an essential resource for diagnostic veterinary pathologists and pathology residents, as well as to equine practitioners performing necropsies in the field.
- Presents more than 1,000 high-quality color images showing primarily gross pathology and significant histopathology and indirect immunohistochemistry
- Aids identification of equine disease, with a user-friendly format to show the correlations between clinical signs and gross and microscopic lesions
- Provides a comparison guide for clinical presentations during or after an equine necropsy
- Offers a synopsis of the principles of the equine field necropsy
- Covers diseases found in the neonate, juvenile, and adult horse
- Focuses on diseases usually found in North America
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 The Equine Necropsy
Chapter 2 Diseases of Foals and Juveniles
Chapter 3 Diseases of the Nervous System and Peripheral Nerves
Chapter 4 The Respiratory System
Chapter 5 Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
Chapter 6 Diseases of the Gastrointestinal System
Chapter 7 Diseases of the Liver and Pancreas
Chapter 8 Urinary System
Chapter 9 Diseases of the Muscular System
Chapter 10 Disease of the Skeletal System
Chapter 11 Diseases of the Endocrine System
Chapter 12 Disease of the Reproductive System
Chapter 13 Skin (Integument)
Chapter 14 Diseases of the Eye and Ear
Chapter 15 Diseases of the Hemolymphatic System
Appendix A Equine Diseases without Pathology
Appendix B Equine Neoplasms
Appendix C Equine Infectious Diseases Foreign to North America
Claus D. Buergelt, DVM, PhD, DACVP, is Professor Emeritus of Pathology at the
University of Florida.
Fabio Del Piero, DVM, PhD, DACVP, is Professor of Pathology at Louisiana State University.