Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Procedures, Second Edition is a step-by-step guide to key emergency and critical care procedures encountered in both general and specialty practice. Now in full color, the second edition includes several new procedures, two new chapters covering cardiopulmonary resuscitation and continuous rate infusions, and a companion website offering videos demonstrating most of the procedures featured in the book. Helpful hints have also been added throughout to make the book even more useful in the practice setting.
Each procedure includes information on the background, supplies needed, indications, and contraindications, followed by a series of images demonstrating the technique. This practical resource, ideally designed for use in fast-paced emergency situations, is an indispensable reference for any member of the veterinary team.
- Offers detailed protocols for common techniques in emergency and critical care
- Presents a series of color photographs walking the reader through each step for every procedure
- Improves clinical skills and knowledge through a hands-on, practical approach
- Adds procedure information for orogastric lavage, respiratory sampling techniques, and pericardial drainage catheter to existing chapters
- Provides two new chapters on cardiopulmonary cerebral resuscitation and continuous rate infusions
- Includes video clips demonstrating most of the procedures on a companion website
Table of Contents
- Vascular Access Techniques
- Nutritional Support and Orogastric Lavage
- Thoracocentesis and Thoracostomy Tube Placement
- Oxygen Supplementation and Respiratory Sampling Techniques
- Urinary Catheter Placement, Urohydropulsion, and Temporary Antepubic Cystostomy Catheter Placement
- Abdominocentesis and Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage
- Pericardiocentesis and Pericardial Drainage Catheter
- Central Venous Pressure
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Continuous Rate Infusions
The companion website provides video clips demonstrating procedures from the book for download at www.wiley.com/go/hackett
Timothy Hackett, DVM, MS, DACVECC, is the Chief of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine and the Small Animal Medical Chief of Staff at the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Elisa Mazzaferro, MS, DVM, PhD, DACVECC, is a criticalist at Cornell University Veterinary Specialists, a private referral hospital affiliated with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, located in Stamford, CT.