Kirkbride's Diagnosis of Abortion and Neonatal Loss in Animals, Fourth Edition is a concise resource for determining the causes of abortion and neonatal loss in cattle, small ruminants, pigs, horses, dogs, cats, and exotic mammals. Presenting current procedures for diagnosing abortion, this classic reference has been fully updated and expanded, offering new coverage of dogs, cats, and nondomestic mammals. Published in association with the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, Kirkbride's Diagnosis of Abortion and Neonatal Loss in Animals, Fourth Edition provides a valuable aid for understanding abortion and neonatal loss, with thorough coverage of possible causes.
The book begins with a general chapter on the approach to an abortion, followed by species-specific chapters. Each chapter begins by outlining the pathogenesis of abortion and neonatal loss, then moves on to special diagnostic techniques, fetal and placental anatomy and physiology, and detailed descriptions of the various causes of abortion or neonatal loss. Kirkbride's Diagnosis of Abortion and Neonatal Loss in Animals, Fourth Edition is a useful guide for veterinary practitioners, diagnosticians, pathologists, theriogenologists, students, and technicians.
- Provides complete information for diagnosing abortion and neonatal loss in animals
- Covers cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, dogs, cats, and non-domestic mammals
- Details the characteristics of many abortifacient causes and associated lesions
- Published in association with the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- Now in full color throughout
- Includes a companion website with digital images for download
Table of Contents
- Editor’s Acknowledgements
- General Approach to Fetal and Neonatal Loss, R. Flint Taylor and Bradley L. Njaa
- Bovine Abortion and Perinatal Loss, Mark Anderson
- Small Ruminant Abortions and Prenatal Losses, Robert B. Moeller Jr.
- Porcine Abortion, Michael Yaeger
- Equine Abortion, Neil Williams
- Dog and Cat Abortion and Neonatal Loss, Claus D. Buergelt
- Abortion and Stillbirth in Nondomestic Mammals, Bruce A. Rideout
- Appendix A Gestational Age Estimation Based on Fetal Measures and Phenotypic Characteristics
- Appendix B Summary Tables of Diagnostic Tests for Infectious Causes of Abortion and Neonatal Loss
Bradley L. Njaa, BSc, DVM, MVSc, DACVP is Associate Professor of Pathology, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Oklahoma.