Thinking about a surgical career? About to start surgical training? Do
you know what to expect and how to thrive?
The Hands-on Guide to Surgical Training is the ultimate, practical guide for medical students and junior doctors thinking about taking the plunge into surgery, and also for surgical trainees already in training. It’s full of invaluable, practical information and career guidance to ensure you get the most out of your surgical career.
It offers general guidance and advice on surgical training, together with detailed information on each of the nine surgical subspecialties, each written by seniors and consultants, as you make both clinical and career-based choices.
Undoubtedly one of the most comprehensive resources for surgical trainees available, The Hands-on Guide to Surgical Training will be essential reading throughout your training and surgical career.
Take the stress out of surgical training with The Hands-on Guide!
Table of Contents
- So you want to be a surgeon?
- 1. Theatres
- Surgical instruments
- Theatre etiquette
- Patient safety and the WHO surgical checklist
- How to write the operation note
- Introduction to operative sections
- Inguinal hernia repair
- Dynamic hip screw
- 2. Wards
- 3. Clinics
- 4. On Call
Non-clinical Generic stage
- 5. The Foundation Years
- 6. The Core Training Years
- 7. The Specialty Training Years
- 8. General Surgery
- 9. Urology
- 10. Cardiothoracic Surgery
- 11. Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- 12. Ear, nose and throat surgery (Otorhinolaryngology – head and neck surgery)
- 13. Paediatric surgery
- 14. Neurosurgery
- 15. Orthopaedics
- 16. Plastic Surgery
- 17. Applying for Jobs
- 18. Flexible Training and Women in Surgery
- 19. Academic Surgery
- 20. Other Issues in Surgical Training
- 21. Fellowships
- 22. Approaching Consultancy
- Appendix 1: Preoperative assessment
- Appendix 2: Consent
- Appendix 3: Local Anaesthetics
Matthew Stephenson is Senior Surgical Registrar within the South East Thames Rotation, and the author of How To Operate: for MRCS candidates and other surgical trainees (Wiley-Blackwell, 2011, ISBN 9780470657447).