Documents both environmental and work-related causes of lung disease
Unlike other books on the subject, this new volume approaches occupational
and environmental lung disease from the starting point of the patient who comes
to the physician with respiratory symptoms. The authors recognize that potentially
harmful exposures occur not only in the work environment, but also as a result
of hobbies or other leisure activities, or from outdoor air pollution, and it
is up the physician to identify whether a particular job or hobby is the cause
of the patient’s respiratory symptoms.
To help you arrive at a differential diagnosis, chapters in the book are arranged by job or exposure, and are divided into 5 sections:
• Personal environment
• Home environment
• Other indoor environments
• Work environment
• General environment
Each is written by an expert in the specific topic and provides pragmatic information for the practicing physician. This practical book is an invaluable resource that belongs close at hand for all physicians dealing with patients experiencing respiratory symptoms.
Table of Contents
Section 1: The personal environment.
- 1. Cosmetics and Personal Care Products in Lung Diseases (Howard M. Kipen).
Section 2: The home environment.
- 2. Passive Smoking (Maritta S. Jaakkola).
- 3. Emissions related to cooking and heating (Debbie Jarvis).
- 4. Cleaning and other household products (Jan-Paul Zock).
- 5. Building materials and furnishing (Jouni J.K. Jaakkola).
- 6. Mites, pets, fungi and rare allergens (Frederic de Blay, Magdalena Posa, Gabrielle Pauli, Ashok Purohit).
- 7. Hobby pursuits (Paul D. Blanc).
Section 3: Other indoor environments.
- 8. Greta Smedje.
- 9. Secondhand smoke exposure and the health of hospitality workers (Mark D. Eisner).
- 10. Health Effects of Environmental Exposures while in Automobiles (Madeline A. Dillon and David B. Peden).
- 11. Indoor Sports (Harman S. Paintal and Ware G. Kuschner).
Section 4: Work environment.
- 12. Agricultural environments and the Food Industry (Jakob Hjort Bønløkke, Yvon Cormier and Torben Sigsgaard).
- 13. Mining (R. L. Cowie).
- 14. Metal Industry and related jobs (including welding) (William S. Beckett).
- 15. Automobile Maintenance, Repair and Refinishing (Meredith Stowe and Carrie A. Redlich).
- 16. Automotive Industry (Kenneth Rosenman).
- 17. Wood and textile industries (Kjell Torén, Carrie A. Redlich).
- 18. The electronics industry (Sherwood Burge).
- 20. The services industry (George L. Delclos, Lea Ann Tullis and Arch I. Carson).
- 21. Construction (Gary M. Liss, Edward L. Petsonk and Kenneth D. Linch).
- 22. Police, firefighters and the military (Aaron Thompson and Stefanos N. Kales).
- 23. Office Workers and Teachers (Jean M. Cox-Ganser, Ju-Hyeong Park and Kathleen Kreiss).
- 24. Research workers (Paul Cullinan).
- 25. Special environments (low altitude).
- 26. Special environments (high altitude).
Section 5: General environment.
- 27. Natural resources – wildland fires and volcanoes (Sverre Vedal).
- 28. Traditional urban pollution (Sam Parsia, Amee Patrawalla and William N. Rom).
- 29. Traffic related urban air pollution (Steven M. Lee and Mark W. Frampton).
- 30. Outdoor sports (Kai-Håkon Carlsen).