'Health Psychology in Context' provides an introduction to health psychology and an overview of contemporary theory and practice. It addresses many of the key issues and challenges in practice, taking into account the latest developments in health care policy including strategies for improving health, tackling unhealthy lifestyles and securing good health for the whole population.
Table of Contents
List of contributors.
List of abbreviations.
1. Introduction: the rainbow of health psychology (Jo Gilmartin).
2. Acute and critical illness (Joan Maclean).
3. Chronic illness (Jenny Waite-Jones).
4. Pain psychology (Joan Maclean).
5. The pressures and effect of a ‘global beauty culture’ (Jo Gilmartin).
6. Body image dissatisfaction and psychological challenges (Jo Gilmartin).
7. Communication and mental health (Pauline Phillips).
8. The impact of childhood chronic illness and disability on family life (Jenny Waite-Jones).
9. Challenges and acts of creation faced by health professionals (Jo Gilmartin).