A new, case-oriented and practical guide to one of the core techniques in respiratory medicine and critical care.
- Concise, practical reference designed for use in the critical care setting
- Case-oriented content is organised according to commonly encountered clinical scenarios
- Flow charts and algorithms delineate appropriate treatment protocols
Table of Contents
- Part I - Non-invasive Ventilation.
- NIV introduction.
- NIV Physiology.
- NIV Acute Respiratory Dailure COPD.
- NIV Acute Respiratory Failure CHF.
- NIV Acute Respiratory Failure other than COPD or CHF.
- NIV for Chronic Respiratory Failure - COPD.
- NIV Chronic Repiratory Failure other than COPD.
- Respiratory Failure.
- Airway Management Chapters.
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation.
- Endotracheal intubation.
- Cuff leaks.
- The Difficult Airway.
- Emergent Cricothyroidotomy.
- Ventilator Mechanics.
- Ventilator Modes.
- Assessing Lung Physiology.
- Mechanical Ventilation in Restrictive Lung Disease.
- Mechanical Ventilation in Obstructive Lung Disease.
- Ancillary Methods to Mechanical Ventilation.
- Patient Outcomes post Mechanical Ventilation.
- Readiness testing and predictors.
- Physiologic barriers.
- Ventilatory modes used during weaning.
- Adjuncts to facilitate weaning.
- Putting it all together: protocols and algorithms.
"As a respiratory therapist with two decades of intensive care experience, I found this book to be an excellent read and a worthy resource for physicians as well as a terrific review for respiratory therapists."
(Doody's, 23 September 2011)