Written by the editors of an established core textbook on human nutrition, this authoritative, up-to-date and concise text covers the key aspects of nutrition, including body composition and energy balance, food consumption, dietary components, the digestive tract, public health and professionalism & ethics in nutrition practice, diet & the lifecyle, diet & sport, diet & disease, and genetics.
- The book covers all the key aspects of human nutrition, in its broadest sense. Its range is comprehensive, from the molecular basis of the link between diet and health, to the factors affecting food production, trade and access.
- The format of the book is conduceive to learning; all chapters begin with a list of objectives and finish with a summary of the chapter content, in the form of key points.
- The book addresses the mechanistic basis of epidemiological associations between diet and disease.
- Consideration is given to explaining how diet/gene interactions underpin the notion of 'personalised nutrition'.
- The student is given an insight into the science of epidemiology as it relates to diet and disease. The strengths and weaknesses of different study designs are examined, and guidance is given to interpreting the results they generate.
- The reader is directed to further textbooks, reviews and relevant websites.
- There is a comprehensive glossary.
- Chapter 1 The Importance of Nutrition
- Chapter 2 Body Composition and Energy balance
- Chapter 3 Food consumption
- Chapter 4 Main dietary components
- Chapter 5 Minor dietary components
- Chapter 6 Diet and the lifecycle
- Chapter 7 Diet for sport and exercise
- Chapter 8 Diet and disease
- Chapter 9 Nutrition and the hard tissues
- Chapter 10 Diet and the gastrointestinal tract
- Chapter 11 Diet and genotype interactions: nutritional genomics
- Chapter 12 Nutritional epidemiology and nutritional assessment
- Chapter 13 Public Health Nutrition
Dietary reference values
International organisation publications
Some useful websites for nutrition information
By Catherine Geissler, BDS, MS, PhD, RNutr, Professor Emerita of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, King's College London, London, UK; Director, Health Sciences and Practice Subject Centre, Higher Education Academy, UK and Hilary Powers, BSc, PhD, RNutr, Professor of Nutritional Biochemistry and Head of Human Nutrition Unit, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK