Preface to the sixth edition
Preface to the fifth edition
Preface to the fourth edition
Preface to the third edition
Preface to the first and second editions
Part I: Neural mechanisms
1. The study of the brain
2. Communication within neurons
3. Communication between neurons
Part II: Sensory functions
4. Skin sense
8. Smell and taste
Part III: Motor functions
9. Motor systems
10. Local motor control
11. The control of posture
Part IV: Higher functions
12. Higher motor control
13. Associational cortex and memory
14. Motivation and the control of behaviour
Appendix: Techniques for studying the brain
Neurophysiology: A Conceptual Approach offers a refreshing alternative to 'learning by rote'. Under new authorship, the sixth edition preserves the legacy of the original author, the late Roger Carpenter, retaining the concise approach and readable style so central to its predecessors. Integrating the disciplines of neurology and neuroscience with an emphasis on principles and functional concepts, this comprehensive textbook covers the entire subject of neurophysiology, from the conduction of nerve impulses to the higher functions of the brain, within a single accessible volume.
- Everything the student of medicine or physiology needs to understand neurophysiology.
- Blends successfully the principles of neuroscience with clinical manifestations in line with modern undergraduate curriculums.
- Revised and updated, with a particular focus on proprioception, skin sense and hearing, including developments in cochlear implants, and functional MRI
- Over 500 illustrations, accompanied by full figure legends, also available as a download for use in presentations.
- Print and bundled eBook offer complete flexibility.
Full of explanatory colour diagrams, the book remains an unrivalled 'one-stop shop' for students of medicine, physiology and applied physiology, neurophysiology, neuroscience, and other bioscience disciplines seeking an integrated introduction to the challenging disciplines of neuroscience and neurology.
Dunecan Massey is Assistant Director of Studies in Medical Science; Bye-Fellow; Undergraduate Tutor; Gonville & Caius College, University of Cambridge, UK
Nick Cunniffe is a Neurology Specialty Registrar, Department of Neurology, Addenbrooke’s Hospital; Clinical Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Imran Noorani is a Neurosurgery NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow, Department of Neurosurgery, Addenbrooke’s Hospital and University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK