Part 1. Foundations of Cardiovascular Medicine 1. Cardiovascular Disease: Past, Present, and Future 2. Global Burden and Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease 3. Impact of the Environment on Cardiovascular Health 4. Clinical Trials in Cardiovascular Medicine 5. Clinical Decision Making in Cardiology 6. Impact of Healthcare Policy on Quality and Outcomes of Cardiovascular Disease Part 2. Individualizing Approaches to Cardiovascular Disease 7. Applications of Genetics to Cardiovascular Medicine 8. Proteomics and Metabolomics in Cardiovascular Medicine 9. Principles of Drug Therapeutics, Pharmacogenomics, and Biologics 10. Biomarkers and Use in Precision Medicine 11. Artificial Intelligence in Cardiovascular Medicine 12. Wearable Devices in Cardiovascular Medicine Part 3. Evaluation of the Patient 13. History and Physical Examination: An Evidence-Based Approach 14. Electrocardiography 15. Exercise Physiology and Testing 16. Echocardiography 17. The Chest Radiograph in Cardiovascular Disease 18. Nuclear Cardiology 19. Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging 20. Cardiac Computed Tomography 21. Coronary Angiography and Intravascular Imaging 22. Invasive Cardiac Hemodynamics 23. Anesthesia and Noncardiac Surgery in Patients with Heart Disease Part 4. Preventive Cardiology 24. The Vascular Biology of Atherosclerosis 25. Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease 26. Systemic Hypertension: Mechanisms, Diagnosis, and Treatment 27. Lipoprotein Disorders and Cardiovascular Disease 28. Tobacco and Nicotine Products in Cardiovascular Disease 29. Nutrition and Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases 30. Obesity: Medical and Surgical Management 31. Diabetes and the Cardiovascular System 32. Exercise and Sports Cardiology 33. Comprehensive Cardiac Rehabilitation 34. Integrative Approaches to the Management of Patients with Heart Disease Part 5. Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease 35. Approach to the Patient with Chest Pain 36. Coronary Blood Flow and Myocardial Ischemia 37. ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction: Pathophysiology and Clinical Evolution 38. ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction: Management 39. Non-ST Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes 40. Stable Ischemic Heart Disease 41. Percutaneous Coronary Intervention 42. Diseases of the Aorta 43. Peripheral Artery Diseases 44. Treatment of Noncoronary Obstructive Vascular Disease 45. Prevention and Management of Ischemic Stroke Part 6. Heart Failure 46. Mechanisms of Cardiac Contraction and Relaxation 47. Pathophysiology of Heart Failure 48. Approach to the Patient With Heart Failure 49. Diagnosis and Management of Acute Heart Failure 50. Management of Heart Failure Patients With Reduced Ejection Fraction 51. Heart Failure with a Preserved Ejection Fraction 52. The Dilated, Restrictive, and Infiltrative Cardiomyopathies 53. Cardiac Amyloidosis 54. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy 55. Myocarditis 56. Cardio-Oncology: Managing Cardiotoxic Effects of Cancer Therapies 57. Cardio-Oncology: Approach to the Patient 58. Devices for Monitoring and Managing Heart Failure 59. Mechanical Circulatory Support 60. Cardiac Transplantation Part 7. Arrhythmias, Sudden Death, and Syncope 61. Approach to the Patient with Cardiac Arrhythmias 62. Mechanisms of Cardiac Arrhythmias 63. Inheritable Cardiac Arrhythmias 64. Pharmacologic and Non-Pharmacologic Therapy of Cardiac Arrythmias 65. Supraventricular Arrhythmias 66. Atrial Fibrillation: Clinical Features, Mechanisms, and Management 67. Ventricular Arrhythmias 68. Bradyarrhythmias and Atrioventricular Block 69. Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators 70. Cardiac Arrest and Sudden Cardiac Death 71. Hypotension and Syncope Part 8. Diseases of the Heart Valves 72. Aortic Stenosis 73. Aortic Regurgitation 74. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement 75. Mitral Stenosis 76. Mitral Regurgitation 77. Tricuspid, Pulmonic, and Multivalve Disease 78. Transcatheter Therapies for Mitral and Tricuspid Valve Disease 79. Prosthetic Heart Valves 80. Cardiovascular Infections 81. Rheumatic Fever Part 9. Diseases of the Myocardium, Pericardium, and Pulmonary Vasculature Bed 82. Congenital Heart Disease in Adolescents and Adults 83. Catheter-Based Treatment of Congenital Heart Disease 84. Cardiomyopathies Induced by Drugs or Toxins 85. Cardiovascular Abnormalities in HIV-Infected Individuals 86. Pericardial Diseases 87. Pulmonary Embolism 88. Pulmonary Hypertension 89. Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Cardiac Disease Part 10. Cardiovascular Disease in Select Populations 90. Cardiovascular Disease in the Older Patient 91. Cardiovascular Disease in Women 92. Pregnancy and Heart Disease 93. Heart Disease in Racially and Ethnically Diverse Populations Part 11. Cardiovascular Disease and Disorders of Other Organs 94. Influenza, Pandemics, COVID-19, and Cardiovascular Disease 95. Hemostasis, Thrombosis, Fibrinolysis, and Cardiovascular Disease 96. Endocrine Disorders and Cardiovascular Disease 97. Rheumatic Diseases and the Cardiovascular System 98. Tumors Affecting the Cardiovascular System 99. Psychiatric and Behavioral Aspects of Cardiovascular Disease 100. Neuromuscular Disorders and Cardiovascular Disease 101. Interface Between Renal Disease and Cardiovascular Illness 102. Cardiovascular Manifestations of Autonomic Disorders
Current, comprehensive, and evidence-based, Braunwald’s Heart Disease remains the most trusted reference in the field and the leading source of reliable cardiology information for practitioners and trainees worldwide. The fully updated 12th Edition continues the tradition of excellence with dependable, state-of-the-art coverage of new drugs, new guidelines, more powerful imaging modalities, and recent developments in precision medicine that continue to change and advance the practice of cardiovascular medicine. Written and edited by global experts in the field, this award-winning text is an unparalleled multimedia reference for every aspect of this complex and fast-changing area.
- Offers balanced, dependable content on rapidly changing clinical science, clinical and translational research, and evidence-based medicine.
- Includes 60 new contributing authors and 12 new chapters that cover Artificial intelligence in Cardiovascular Medicine; Influenza, Pandemics, COVID-19, and Cardiovascular Disease; Tobacco and Nicotine Products in Cardiovascular Disease; Impact of Healthcare Policy on Quality, Outcomes, and Equity in Cardiovascular Disease; Impact of the Environment on Cardiovascular Health, and more.
- Features a new introductory chapter, Cardiovascular Disease: Past, Present, and Future by Eugene Braunwald, MD, offering his unique, visionary approach to the field of cardiology. Dr. Braunwald also curates the extensive, bimonthly online updates that include "Hot Off the Press," "Practice Updates," and "Late-Breaking Clinical Trials."
- Provides cutting-edge coverage of key topics such as proteomics and metabolomics, TAVR, diabetocardiology, and cardio-oncology.
- Contains 1,850 high-quality illustrations, radiographic images, algorithms, and charts, and provides access to 265 helpful videos with identifying icons.
- Highlights the latest AHA and ACC guidelines to clearly summarize diagnostic criteria and clinical implications.
- Provides tightly edited, focused content for quick, dependable reference. Flexible format options include either one or two volumes in print, as well as a searchable eBook with ongoing updates.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.