Part I - Introduction to Pain Control
Chapter 1 - Local Anesthesia in Dental Hygiene Practice
Chapter 2 - Neurophysiology
Part 2 - Local and Topical Anesthetic Agents
Chapter 3 - Pharmacology of Local Anesthetic Agents
Chapter 4 - Pharmacology of Vasocontrictors
Chapter 5 - Local Anesthetic Agents
Chapter 6 - Topical Anesthetic Agents
Part 3 - Patient Assessment
Chapter 7 - Preanesthetic Assessment
Chapter 8 - Determining Drug Dosages
Part 4 - Local Anesthetic Techniques for the Dental Hygienist
Chapter 9 - Armamentarium/Syringe Preparation
Chapter 10 - Anatomic Considerations for Local Anesthesia Administration
Chapter 11 - Basic Injection Techniques
Chapter 12 - Maxillary Anesthesia
Chapter 13 - Mandibular Anesthesia
Chapter 14 - Local Anesthesia for the Child and Adolescent
Part 5 - Complications, Legal Considerations, and Risk Management
Chapter 15 - Local Anesthetic Complications
Chapter 16 - Legal Considerations and Risk Management
Binder-Ready Edition: This loose-leaf copy of the full text is a convenient accessible and customizable alternative to the bound book. With this binder-ready edition students can personalize the text to match their unique needs!
Learn the safe use of local anesthesia with the only book written specifically for dental hygienists! Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist 3rd Edition provides a complete guide to pharmacology and anesthetic techniques helping you learn procedures before you work with actual patients. Detailed drawings show dental anatomy and full-color photos illustrate specific injection techniques; case studies let you apply your knowledge to clinical practice. The Evolve website includes procedure videos and prepares you for success on board exams with practice questions and a mock licensure exam. Writing in a warm humanistic style dental hygiene educator Demetra Logothetis will allay any fears you may have in working with local and topical anesthetics.
- NEW! Updated information is provided on local anesthesia guidelines.
- NEW! Videos of 15 local anesthesia procedures on the Evolve website demonstrate how to perform procedures.
- NEW! Updated clinical photos are added to show examples of both proper and improper technique.
- NEW! Updated case studies, procedure boxes, and multiple-choice review questions allow you to measure your progress.
- Clear, approachable writing style makes it easier to learn proper techniques and gain confidence, acknowledging not only the patient’s fear of injection but also the fears of the inexperienced clinician.
- More than 400 full-color photographs and illustrations show techniques, procedures, and instruments.
- Procedures boxes provide illustrated, step-by-step instructions for performing specific procedures, including indications, contraindications, nerves and teeth affected, operator and patient positioning, insertion point, penetration, amount of anesthetic, and working time.
- Case studies make it easier to apply concepts to the clinical setting and to develop problem-solving skills.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter provide the opportunity to assess your understanding, and the Evolve website provides chapter practice quizzes and a 55-question mock examination.
- Dental Hygiene Considerations boxes summarize key points and tips for optimal care.
- Expert author Demetra Logothetis is an educator with more than 20 years of experience teaching local anesthesia administration for dental hygienists.
- Key terms are highlighted within the text and defined in the glossary.