Part 1: Diagnoses
1. Examination of the Mouth and Other Relevant Structures
2. Radiographic Techniques
3. Acquired and Developmental Disturbances of the Teeth and Associated Oral Structures
4. Development and Morphology of the Primary Teeth
5. Oral Pathology of the Child and Adolescent
6. Clinical Genetics for the Dental Practitioner
7. Child Abuse and Neglect
Part 2: Caries and Periodontology
8. Mechanical and Chemotherapeutic Home Oral Hygiene
9. Nutritional Considerations for the Pediatric Dental Patient
10. Dental Caries in the Child and Adolescent
11. Pit and Fissure Sealants and Preventative Resin Restorations
12. Restorative Dentistry
13. Dental Materials
14. Treatment of Deep Caries, Vital Pulp Exposure, and Pulpless Teeth
15. Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease
Part 3: Pain Control and Behavior Guidance
16. Local Anesthesia for the Child and Adolescent
17. Nonpharmacologic Management of Children's Behaviors
18. Pharmacologic Management of Patient Behavior
19. Hospital Dental Services for Children and the Use of General Anesthesia
Part 4: Growth and Development
20. Eruption of the Teeth: Local, Systemic, and Congenital Factors That Influence the Process
21. Growth of the Face and Dental Arches
22. Cephalometrics and Facial Esthetics: The Key to Complete Treatment Planning
23. Managing the Developing Occlusion
24. Multidisciplinary Team Approach to Cleft Lip and Palate Management
25. Prosthodontic Treatment of the Adolescent Patient
Part 5: Management of Special Medical Issues and Practice Management
26. Dental Problems of Children with Special Needs
27. Management of the Medically Compromised Patient: Hematology, Oncology, Hepatitis, and AIDS
28. Management of Trauma to the Teeth and Supporting Tissues
29. Oral Surgery for the Pediatric Patient
30. Pediatric Oral Health Advocacy
31. Practice Management
Get the expert knowledge you need to provide quality oral care to pediatric patients! Trusted for more than 50 years McDonald and Avery's Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent 11th Edition provides the latest diagnostic and treatment recommendations for infants children and adolescents. It covers topics ranging from pediatric examination and radiographic techniques to development and morphology of the primary teeth dental caries dental materials and local anesthesia. Another point of emphasis is the management of patients with special medical issues. On the Expert Consult website you’ll find a fully searchable version of the entire text along with case studies and step-by-step procedure videos. From internationally known educator Jeffrey A. Dean this resource provides everything you need to prepare for board certification and succeed in clinical practice.
- NEW! Updated content includes a new section on sleep apnea, plus COVID-19 in children, pain management, dental bleaching, a minimalist approach to restorative dentistry, the latest dental materials, new pulp recommendations, community dentistry, patient-centered care, preventive orthodontic treatment, the use of silver diamine fluoride, and vaping with its oral implications.
- NEW! Additional patient cases and questions are included in the book and website.
- NEW! Procedure videos plus updates of existing videos are added to the Expert Consult website.
- NEW authors contribute updated and unique chapters throughout the book.
- Comprehensive coverage of pediatric dentistry includes the treatment of deep caries, prosthodontics, occlusion, trauma, gingivitis and periodontal disease, cleft lip and palate, facial esthetics, and medically compromised patients.
- More than 1,000 illustrations show oral structures and conditions along with dental procedures.
- Five major areas of focus help you organize your thinking and practice around key clinical concepts: diagnoses, caries and periodontology, pain control, oral growth and development, and management of special medical issues.
- Expert Consult website includes fully searchable access to the text, plus videos and case studies.
- Diverse and respected team of authors contribute chapters on their areas of expertise.
- Global readership includes translations of the text into seven different languages.
Edited by Jeffrey A. Dean, DDS, MSD, Ralph E. McDonald Professor of Pediatric Dentistry and Professor of Orthodontics, Indiana University School of Dentistry, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN