1. The Science of Human Error
2. The Scope and Prevalence of Perioperative Harm
3. Systems Thinking in the Operating Room
4. Resilience, Brittleness, And the Law of Stretched Systems
5. Dynamics of Surgical Teams
6. Human Factors and Ergonomics in the Operating Room
7. The High Reliability Operating Room
8. Surgical Safety & Racial,Ethnic, and Cultural Disparities
9. Cognitive Workload, Distractions, and Fatigue
10. Preoperative Preparation of the Patient
11. Structured Perioperative Team Communication
12. Age-Specific Considerations in Perioperative Safety
13. The Patient Experience
14. Safe Perioperative Medication Practices
15. Safe Anesthesia and Procedural Sedation
16. Identifying Causal Factors of Errors
17. Culture of Safety
18. Patient Identification Errors
19. Operating Room Hazards
20. Healthcare-Associated Infections
21. Failure to Rescue and Failure to Perceive Deterioration
22. Redesigning the Operating Room for Safety
Offering a concise yet comprehensive review of current practices in surgery and patient safety, Handbook of Perioperative and Procedural Patient Safety is an up-to date, practical resource for practicing surgeons, anesthesiologists, surgical nurses, hospital administrators, and surgical office staff. Edited by Drs. Juan A. Sanchez and Robert S. D. Higgins and authored by expert contributors from Johns Hopkins, it provides an expansive look at the scope of the problem, causes of error, minimizing errors, surgical suite and surgical team design, patient experience, and other related topics.
- Presents the knowledge and experience of a multidisciplinary team from Johns Hopkins University, which created the Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP), an approach for improving safety culture and engaging frontline clinicians to identify and mitigate defects in care delivery.
- Discusses the scope and prevalence of perioperative harm, causes of error in healthcare, and perioperative never events.
- Covers safe practices, cognitive workload and fatigue, and the effects of noise in the OR.
- Includes several team-based chapters such as the dynamics of surgical teams, safer perioperative team communication, and the culture of safety.
- Consolidates today's available information and guidance into a single, convenient resource.
Edited by Juan A Sanchez, MD, Department of Surgery, Saint Mary's Hospital, Waterbury, CT, USA