Up to date and extensively revised to reflect recent advances in the genetics of common diseases, as well as current progress in gene therapy, Medical Genetics, 6th Edition, delivers easy-to-read, highly visual coverage of this rapidly changing field. This accessible, practical text integrates key concepts with clinical practice, highlighted by numerous illustrations, tables, concept summaries, and more - all designed to enhance effective learning and retention of complex material.
- Discusses current topics including polygenic risk scores and their potential applications for diabetes, cancer, and heart disease, and the latest sequencing technologies and their clinical application in genetic testing and diagnosis.
- Offers a completely updated discussion of genetic testing modalities and applications.
- Includes convenient concept summaries, more than 230 photographs, illustrations, and tables, as well as patient/family vignettes that present valuable perspectives on disease and treatment.
- Features Clinical Commentary boxes that demonstrate how the hard science of genetics has real applications to everyday patient problems, preparing you for problem-based integrated courses.
- Illustrates key concepts with disease examples to demonstrate relevance to medicine.
- Provides study questions for self-assessment, as well as 200 additional USMLE-style questions online.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
By Lynn B. Jorde, PhD, Professor, Mark and Kathie Miller Presidential Chair, Department of Human Genetics,University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT; John C. Carey, MD, MPH, Professor, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics,University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT and Michael J. Bamshad, MD, Professor, Division of Genetic Medicine, Department of Pediatrics,University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT