PART I: PRINCIPLES OF SURGERY 1. Preoperative Health Status Evaluation 2. Prevention and Management of Medical Emergencies 3. Principles of Surgery 4. Wound Repair 5. Infection Control in Surgical Practice 6. Anesthesia in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
PART II: PRINCIPLES OF EXODONTIA 7. Armamentarium for Basic Oral Surgery 8. Principles of Uncomplicated Exodontia 9. Principles of Complicated Exodontia 10. Principles of Management of Impacted Teeth 11. Postoperative Patient Management 12. Prevention and Management Surgical Complications 13. Medicolegal Considerations
PART III: PREPROSTHETIC AND IMPLANT SURGERY 14. Preprosthetic Surgery 15. Contemporary Implant Dentistry 16 Treatment of complex implant cases
PART IV: INFECTIONS 17. Principles of Management and Prevention of Odontogenic Infections 18. Complex Odontogenic Infections 19. Principles of Endodontic Surgery 20. Management of the Patient Undergoing Radiotherapy or Chemotherapy 21. Odontogenic Diseases of the Maxillary Sinus 22. Diagnosis and Management of Salivary Gland Disorders
PART V: MANAGEMENT OF ORAL PATHOLOGIC LESIONS 23. Principles of Differential Diagnosis and Biopsy 24. Surgical Management of Oral Pathologic Lesions
PART VI: ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL TRAUMA 25. Soft Tissue and Dentoalveolar Injuries 26. Management of Facial Fractures
PART VII: DENTOFACIAL DEFORMITIES 27. Correction of Dentofacial Deformities 28. Facial Esthetic Surgery 29. Management of Patients with Orofacial Clefts 30. Surgical Reconstruction of Defects of the Jaws
PART VIII: TEMPOROMANDIBULAR DISORDERS AND OTHER FACIAL PAIN 31. Facial Neuropathology 32. Management of Temporomandibular Disorders
PART IX: MANAGEMENT OF THE HOSPITAL PATIENT 33. Management of the Hospitalized Patient
One of the most respected dental surgery books in the world, Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 7th Edition helps you develop skills in evaluation, diagnosis, and patient management. This comprehensive text on oral surgery procedures features full-color photographs and drawings that show how to perform basic surgical techniques, including an overview of more advanced surgical procedures and the latest developments in dental implants, instrumentation, and current technology. A detailed patient evaluation section includes guidelines on when to refer patients to specialists and how to provide supportive postoperative care. New to this edition is a chapter focusing on anesthesia in greater depth than any of the previous editions. Written by well-known OMS educators James R. Hupp, and Edward Ellis III, and Myron R. Tucker, this book is a valuable reference for dentistry and dental hygiene students alike!
- UPDATED! Chapter, Contemporary Implant Dentistry, includes new and updated implant surgical techniques and virtual planning.
- UPDATED! Chapter, Treatment of Complex Implant Cases, features new and updated cases requiring more complex treatment, including bone augmentation surgery in combination with implants.
- UPDATED! Coverage of Management of Sinus Disease updated outline of the fundamental principles for evaluation and treatment of the patient with sinus disease, including endoscopic therapy.
- UPDATED! Coverage of Management of Medication-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw outlines the fundamental principles for evaluation and treatment of the patient.
- UPDATED! Facial Cosmetic Surgery chapter is organized by nonsurgical and surgical procedures, covering popular procedures such as dermal fillers, botox, facial resurfacing, browlift and forehead procedures, blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty, and rhytidectomy.
- UPDATED! Content on implants, new instruments, and the latest technology help you treat your patients more effectively.
- Basic techniques of evaluation, diagnosis, and medical management described in enough detail to facilitate immediate clinical application.
- Excellent instrumentation chapter covers a wide variety of instruments and tray set-ups that OMS surgeons use.
- Complex Exodontia chapter describes techniques for surgical tooth extraction, including the principles of flap design, development, management, and suturing, as well as open extraction of single- and multi-rooted teeth, multiple extractions, and concomitant alveoloplasty.
- Hundreds of detailed, close-up photographs of intraoperative sites clarify textual descriptions
- Coverage of complex OMS procedures give you a basic understanding of what you will face later in advanced OMS cases.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Chapter, Anesthesia in Dentistry focuses on anesthesia in greater depth than any of the previous editions including local anesthesia and nitrous oxide sedation.
- NEW! Expert Consult TM eBook version included with purchase allows you to search all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices
By James R. Hupp, DMD, MD, JD, MBA, Founding Dean and Professor of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dental Medicine, Professor of Surgery, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina. ; Myron R. Tucker, DDS, Adjunct Clinical Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Louisiana State University, New Orleans, LA and Edward Ellis, III, DDS, MS, Professor and Chair, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX