Get the most from your study time, and experience a realistic USMLE simulation with Rapid Review Microbiology and Immunology, 3rd Edition, by Drs. Ken S. Rosenthal and Michael J. Tan. This new reference in the highly rated Rapid Review Series is formatted as a bulleted outline with photographs, tables and figures that address all the microbiology and immunology information you need to know for the USMLE. And with Student Consult functionality, you can become familiar with the look and feel of the actual exam by taking a timed or a practice test online that includes 400 USMLE-style questions.
- Access all the information you need to know quickly and easily with a user-friendly, two-color outline format that includes High-Yield Margin Notes.
- Take a timed or a practice test online with more than 400 USMLE-style questions and full rationales for why every possible answer is right or wrong.
- Review the most current information with completely updated chapters, images, and questions, including a new chapter on Laboratory Tests for Diagnosis.
- Profit from the guidance of series editor, Dr. Edward Goljan, a well-known author of medical study references, who is personally involved in content review.
New to this Edition
- Study and take notes more easily with the new, larger page size.
- Practice with a new testing platform on USMLE Consult that gives you a realistic review experience and fully prepares you for the exam.
- Review your understanding of how to interpret lab results in a new chapter on Laboratory Tests for Diagnosis.
Table of Contents
SECTION I: Immunology
- Chapter 1 Components of the Immune System
- Chapter 2 Role of T Cells in Immune Responses
- Chapter 3 Immunoglobulins and Their Production by B Cells
- Chapter 4 Normal and Abnormal Immune Responses
- Chapter 5 Laboratory Tests for Diagnosis
SECTION II: Bacteriology
- Chapter 6 Bacterial Structure
- Chapter 7 Bacterial Growth, Genetics, and Virulence
- Chapter 8 Diagnosis, Therapy, and Prevention of Bacterial Diseases
- Chapter 9 Gram-Positive Cocci
- Chapter 10 Gram-Positive Toxigenic Rods
- Chapter 11 Enterobacteriaceae
- Chapter 12 Gram-Negative Cocci and Coccobacilli
- Chapter 13 Gram-Negative, Oxidase-Positive Motile Rods
- Chapter 14 Mycoplasmas, Filamentous Bacteria, and Bacteroides
- Chapter 15 Spirochetes
- Chapter 16 Mycobacteria
- Chapter 17 Chlamydiae and Zoonotic Intracellular Bacteria
SECTION III: Virology
- Chapter 18 Viral Structure, Classification, and Replication
- Chapter 19 Viral Pathogenesis
- Chapter 20 Diagnosis, Therapy, and Prevention of Viral Diseases
- Chapter 21 Nonenveloped (Naked) DNA Viruses
- Chapter 22 Enveloped DNA Viruses
- Chapter 23 Nonenveloped (Naked) RNA Viruses
- Chapter 24 Large Enveloped RNA Viruses
- Chapter 25 Small and Midsized Enveloped RNA Viruses
- Chapter 26 Retroviruses
- Chapter 27 Hepatitis Viruses
SECTION IV: Mycology, Parasitology, and Infectious Diseases
- Chapter 28 Fungi
- Chapter 29 Parasites
- Chapter 30 Infectious Diseases: Clinical Correlations
Appendix 1: Bacteriology Summary Tables and Trigger Words
Appendix 2: Virology Summary Tables and Trigger Words
Appendix 3: Mycology and Parasitology Trigger Words
Common Laboratory Values
By Ken S. Rosenthal, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy, Rootstown, OH and Michael J Tan, MD, FACP, Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy, Rootstown, OH; Clinical Physician Infectious Diseases and HIV, Summa Health System, Akron, OH