By Michele Leonardi Darby, BSDH, MS, G.W. Hirschfield School of Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting, College of Health Sciences, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
Now in full color, Mosby’s Comprehensive Review of Dental Hygiene is an easy-to-use study aid for the national board exam. A full mock examination at the end of the book includes representative cases with answers and rationales for every question so readers can evaluate how well they’ve learned the material before they take the real exam. This edition includes two new chapters on General Anatomy and Physiology and General Pathology, to ensure that readers have a solid understanding of these sciences that are the foundation of oral anatomy and pathology. Additional information on ethical, legal, and safety issues is incorporated throughout to provide a better understanding of how these aspects of practice relate to each chapter topic. References have also been updated, putting the most current resources at the reader’s fingertips for more relevant supplemental learning.
• Mosby’s Comprehensive Review of Dental Hygiene is a trusted review resource that is extremely popular with dental hygiene students. • The outline format of the book makes it an easy-to-use study aid while in school, and then for the national board exam.
- New chapter on General Anatomy gives an overview of the body’s structure and function for a better understanding of how problems in one body system can affect the rest of the body.
- Added chapter on General Pathology describes disease development and includes a discussion on the process of inflammation and the genetic basis of disease.
- Full-color design shows greater detail in photos and illustrations for more comprehensive learning.
- Detailed information on legal/ethical/safety issues incorporated throughout shows how these issues can fit into their everyday practice, rather than thinking of them as separate elements of hygiene practice.
- Listings of websites within chapters offer current information on important developments in dental hygiene topics.
- New chapter review questions at the end of most chapters.
1. Preparing for National, Regional and State Dental Hygiene Board Examinations
2. Histology and Embryology
3. Anatomy and Physiology
4. Head and Neck Anatomy and Physiology
5. Clinical Oral Structures, Dental Anatomy, and Root Morphology
6. Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
7. General Pathology
8. Oral and General Pathology
9. Microbiology and Immunology
10. Prevention of Disease Transmission in Oral Healthcare
12. Biochemistry, Nutrition, and Nutritional Counseling
15. Dental Hygiene Process of Care
16. Strategies for Oral Health Promotion and Disease Prevention and Control
17. Instrumentation for Client Assessment and Care
18. Management of Pain and Anxiety
19. Dental Hygiene Care for Individuals with Special Needs
20. Community Oral Health Planning and Practice
21. Medical Emergencies
22. Ethical and Legal Issues
Simulated National Dental Hygiene Board Examination Answers and Rationales
A. Medical Terminology
B. Prevention of Bacterial Endocarditis: Recommendations by the American Heart Association
C. Professional Organizations of Interest to Dental Hygienists