Part of the Pediatric Practice series, Pediatric Practice: Endocrinology is an outstanding clinical analysis and decision-making tool for those treating endocrine problems in children. Featuring an innovative problem-oriented approach, this well-illustrated, full-color guide skillfully integrates pathophysiology with clinical management. Numerous figures illustrate the principles of normal and abnormal physiology and treatment rationale and effects.
Since an understanding of the clinical manifestations and treatments of endocrine disorders begins with knowledge of concepts of hormone action and principles of feedback control, the first chapter, "General Concepts and Physiology," links genetics, cell biology, and physiology with pathophysiology to provide a clear and approachable overview of endocrine systems. Subsequent chapters discuss disorders of growth, puberty, thyroid and adrenal glands, sex development, calcium and bone metabolism, water homeostasis, and carbohydrate metabolism and its comorbidities.
In this second edition, contributing authors have updated all chapters. Important additions include sections on genetics for the endocrinologist in the general concepts chapter, an overview of the physiology and treatment of metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia in the obesity chapter, and the addition of a new chapter on enteric hormones.
Features of the Pediatric Practice Series
- The Pediatric Practice series simplifies the care of pediatric patients by delivering:
- Tips that tell you what you must knowâ€”and what you must doâ€”at every stage of care
- Diagnostic and treatment algorithms
- Signs/Symptoms and Differential Diagnosis boxes
- When to Refer boxes, which examine all the relevant clinical considerations
- Diagnostic Tests--with a realistic emphasis on the right tests to order
- Medical Treatment coverage that includes drugs, dosages, and administration in an easy-to-read tabular format
- Convenient icons and a consistent chapter design
- Numerous clinical color photos and didactic diagrams
Table of Contents
1. General Concepts and Physiology
2. Normal Growth and Growth Disorders
3. Posterior Pituitary and Disorders of Water Metabolism
5. Adrenal Disorders
6. Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism
8. Disorders of Sex Development
10. Diabetes Mellitus
· Part A: Introduction to Diabetes
· Part B: Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
· Part C: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
· Part D: Other Specific Types of Diabetes Mellitus and Causes of Hyperglycemia
Michael S. Kappy, MD, PhD (Denver, CO) Professor of Pediatrics, Section Head, Endocrinology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, The Children's Hospital, Denver.
Mitchell E. Geffner, MD (Los Angeles, CA) Division Chief and Director of Fellowship Training, Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Professor of Pediatrics, Department of Endocrinology, University of Southern California.
David B. Allen, MD (Madison, WI) Professor of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health.