Demystified is your vaccine for tricky subjects like microbiology
If you don't know your prokaryotes from your protozoa, or learning about fungi puts you in a funk, look no further--Microbiology Demystified, Second Edition is your cure for learning this topic's fundamental concepts and theories at your own pace.
This practical guide eases you into this field of science, starting at the cell level. As you progress, you will master microbiology essentials such as bacteria, algae, viruses, pasteurization, and more. You will understand the difference between friendly and unfriendly microorganisms as well as the microscope's role in shaping microbiology. Detailed examples make it easy to understand the material, and end-of-chapter quizzes and a final exam help reinforce key ideas.
It's a no-brainer! You'll learn about:
- Classification of microorganisms
- Germ theory
- Recombinant DNA technology
Simple enough for a beginner, but challenging enough for an advanced student, Microbiology Demystified. Second Edition, helps you master this essential subject.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. The World of the Microorganism
- Chapter 2. The Chemical Elements of Microorganisms
- Chapter 3. Observing Microorganisms
- Chapter 4. Prokaryotic Cells and Eukaryotic Cells
- Chapter 5. Chemical Metabolism
- Chapter 6. Microbial Growth and Controlling Microbial Growth
- Chapter 7. Microbial Genetics
- Chapter 8. Recombinant DNA Technology
- Chapter 9. Classification of Microorganisms
- Chapter 10. The Prokaryotes: Bacteria: Domains Archaea and Bacteria
- Chapter 11. The Eukaryotes: Fungi, Algae, Protozoa, and Helminths
- Chapter 12. Viruses, Viroids, and Prions
- Chapter 13. Epidemiology and Disease
- Chapter 14. Immunity
- Chapter 15. Vaccines and Diagnosing Diseases
- Chapter 16. Antimicrobial Drugs
- FINAL EXAM
- ANSWERS TO QUIZ, AND EXAM QUESTION
About the Authors
Dr. Tom Betsy is a faculty member at Bergen College in New Jersey where he teaches microbiology and anatomy and physiology and other courses in their nursing school. He is widely respected for his unique way of simplifying complex topics.
Jim Keogh is a New York University faculty member and an RN licensed in New York and New Jersey. He has written books in the DeMYSTiFieD series, including Medical-Surgical Nursing DeMYSTiFieD, Medical Billing and Coding DeMYSTiFieD, Java DeMYSTiFieD, and OOP DeMYSTiFieD.