The Common Symptom Guide is the most trusted and easy-to-use reference for quickly and accurately evaluating and treating patients based on presenting symptoms. The Guide includes lists of pertinent questions, physical findings, and differential diagnosis for more than 100 of the most common adult and pediatric symptoms so you can instantly diagnose and treat the complaint.
"This is a book of lists to help inexperienced healthcare providers hone their skill at progressing from symptoms to a differential diagnosis to treatment decisions. This is a necessary step in a student's development and this book goes a long way in assisting in this process. 3 Stars."--Doody's Review Service
Turn to The Common Symptom Guide for important guidelines on:
- Patient and family history
- Physical examination
- Diagnostic considerations
- Environmental history
- Outstanding indexing and cross-referencing to help you quickly arrive at a diagnosis
- Increased number of evidence-based medicine references
- Updated medical information throughout
- More references to key websites
- Additional information on the author's website (www.howsyourhealth.org) that provides valuable patient education material
Table of contents
The General Index
The Medications Section
The Directed Database Section
Monitoring Clinical Experiences
- John H. Wasson, M.D., Professor of Community and Family Medicine and Medicine at Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire. He holds the Herman O. West Chair in Geriatrics.
- B. Timothy Walsh, M.D., W&J Ruane Professor of Pediatric Psychopharmacology in the Department of Psychiatry at the College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, and Director of the Division of Clinical Therapeutics at New York State Psychiatric Institute.
- Harold C. Sox, Jr., M.D., M.A.C.P., Editor, Annals of Internal Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Robert Pantell, M.D., Professor of Pediatrics, Division of General Pediatrics, University of California at San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, California.
- Mary C. LaBrecque, B.S.N., Instructor in Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire.