This book provides a link between occupational health and clinical practice. It aims to provide a valuable starting point for health professionals with an interest in occupational medicine as well as those intending to specialize in occupational medicine. It will also serve as a useful guide for all those who are interested in occupational medical practice. These include medical students at various levels, occupational health nurses, general practitioners, or colleagues and professionals in occupational health and safety — in other words, for all who have committed themselves to do the best practice for the health of working people.
This third edition of the textbook has been fully revised and includes new materials and chapters. The contents of the book have been streamlined to appear in two sections. The approach of examining occupational health issues and concerns from the standpoint of clinical presentations of the different organ systems is retained. These clinically oriented chapters form Section One. Section Two comprises issues of special interest to occupational health practitioners such as screening and routine medical examinations, assessment of disability for compensation, medical planning and management of industrial disasters, occupational medicine practice and the law, and the prevention of occupational diseases.
Several changes have directly resulted from feedback from readers of the previous editions. Among these are the inclusion of new chapters on occupational infections, metabolic disorders, and occupational medicine practice and the law. As before, case studies have been incorporated in the chapters to make clear the relevant issues.
edited by David Koh (National University of Singapore, Singapore)
& Ken Takahashi (University of Occupational and Environmental
- Clinical Occupational Medicine:
- Work and Health (D Koh & J Sng)
- Renal Disorders (J Sng, T-G Ng & K-S Chia)
- Cardiovascular Disorders (H-Y Ong & S-M Lee)
- Respiratory Disorders (H-S Lee, K Takahashi & K-L Tan)
- Skin Disorders (D Koh & C-L Goh)
- Hematological Disorders (W-T Ng & K-S Chia)
- Neurological Disorders (R Lucchini & S-E Chia)
- Mental Health Disorders (E-H Kua & K Ung)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (A Chong, N S Kumar, E-H Lee & H-K Wong)
- Hepatobiliary and Gastrointestinal Disorders (T-C Aw, L L F Aw & J M Harington)
- Auditory Disorders (K G Rampal, A Razali & N H Ismail)
- Eye Injuries and Other Disorders (L S Lim & T-Y Wong)
- Occupational Infections (I Blair & T-C Aw)
- Metabolic Disorders: Obesity and Diabetes (S-M Lee & C-F Sum)
- Female Reproductive Disorders (H Taskinen, M-L Lindbohm & )
- Male Reproductive Disorders (J P BOnde & S-E Chia)
- Special Issues in Occupational Medicine:
- Ethics in Occupational Medicine (D Koh & S-M Lee)
- Health Screening and Periodic Medical Examinations (S-M Lee, M Wong & J-W Lim)
- Assessment of Disability for Compensation (K Choy & H-S Lee)
- Occupational Medicine Practice and the Law (S-M Lee & D Koh)
- Medical Disaster Planning and Response (M-K Lim)
- Aviation and Diving Medicine (G Chan & W-T Ng )
- Prevention of Occupational Diseases (D Koh & J Sng)
Readership: Graduate students, practitioners and researchers in occupational and public health.