This is a concise, pocket-sized, economy textbook covering the whole field of endocrinology but focusing on common problems encountered in clinical practice. In addition to serving as a colorful aide-mémoire, this book also supports individual patient care and management through a structured and practical problem-solving approach. The contents are explained and interfaced with easy-to-follow schematic diagrams, illustrations, summarized flowcharts and tables.
As a pocket synopsis of clinical endocrinology, the book offers a practical guide to clinical investigation. Through reinforcement of comprehension, it will supplement large major reference textbooks and lecture series and thus appeal to a broad readership across the developed and developing world .
by George A Thomson (Sheffield Hallam University, UK & Sherwood Forest Hospitals, UK) & Devaka J S Fernando (Sheffield Hallam University, UK & Sherwood Forest Hospitals, UK)
- Fundamentals and Principles of Endocrinology:
- The Endocrine System, Chemical Transmission and Investigations in Endocrinology
- Gonadotrophin-Releasing Hormone: A Peptide Hormone
- Clinical Endocrinology:
- The Hypothalamus and Pituitary Gland, Growth Hormone and Cellular Growth Factors, Normal Growth and Pathophysiology of Growth
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Male Reproduction: The Testis, Actions of Androgens, Pathophysiology
- The Thyroid Gland and Thyroid Hormones
- Calcium and Metabolic Bone Disease
- Primary Osteoporosis
- Clinical Diabetes and Obesity:
- Complications of Diabetes
- Glucagon and Gastrointestinal Hormones
- Energy Homeostasis: Causes of Obesity, Cardiovascular and Respiratory Complications, Insulin Resistance and Endocrine Complications
Readership: Medical students and postgraduate doctors training as generalists in medicine, and specialists in endocrinology. Clinicians seeking to establish investigation and management plans in the workplace. A practical brief reference guide for quick and ready information access in wards and outpatient departments.