The second edition of this comprehensive guide provides undergraduate medical students with the most up to date information in the field of biochemistry.
Divided into 35 chapters, the book covers all aspects of the subject, from cell and membrane transport, to chemistry of lipids, carbohydrates and proteins, to metabolism, and finally molecular biology and biochemistry of specific disorders, connective tissues and muscles. The last section discusses biochemical techniques such as chromatography and electrophoresis.
Each chapter begins with an outline and ends with a self-assessment section which includes long and short answer questions, multiple choice questions and clinical case studies. Key points are highlighted in colour boxes and a detailed glossary provides definitions of common terms. A list of references and normal values for biochemical laboratory tests concludes the book.
- Fully revised, new edition providing latest information in field of biochemistry
- Includes self assessment questions and clinical case studies
- Features comprehensive glossary and references and normal values for lab tests
- Previousedition (9789350254912) published in 2011
1. Cell And Membrane Transport 2. Carbohydrate Chemistry 3. Chemistry Of Lipids 4. Chemistry Of Proteins 5. Plasma Proteins And Immunoglobulins 6. Enzymes 7. Vitamins 8. Chemistry Of Hemoglobin 9. Chemistry Of Nucleic Acids Xiii 10. Biological Oxidation 11. Nutrients And Their Role In Nutrition 12. Carbohydrate Metabolism 13. Lipid Metabolism 14. Protein Metabolism 15. Integration OfMetabolism And Metabolism In Starvation 16. Water Metabolism 17. Mineral Metabolism 18. Hemoglobin Metabolism 19. Purine And Pyrimidine Nucleotide Metabolism 20. Replication, TranscriptionAnd Translation 21. Regulation Of Gene Expression And Mutation 22. Genetic Engineering 23. Mechanism Of Hormone Action 24. Acid-Base Balance 25. Organ Function Tests 26. Radioisotopes In Medicine 27. Free Radicals And Antioxidants 28. Detoxification (Metabolism Of Xenobiotics) 29. Cancer 30. Environment And Health 31. Biomedical Waste Management 32. Connective Tissue 33. Muscle 34.Neurotransmitters 35. Laboratory Investigation Techniques Glossary Reference Values For Selected Biochemical Laboratory Tests Index
Pankaja Naik PhD
Professor, Department of Biochemistry, SMBT Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Nashik, Maharashtra, India