1. Normal Water Balance
2. Distribution of Body Fluid
3. Pharmacology of Crystalloids
4. Pharmacology of Colloids
5. Pharmacology of Hydroxyethyl Starch
6. Current Consensus on Crystalloids and Colloids in the Perioperative Period
7. Fluid Replacement Therapy
8. Perioperative Fluid Therapy in Infants and Children
9. Fluids Therapy in Trauma Resuscitation
10. Fluid Therapy in Fever
11. Fluids in Intestinal Obstruction
12. Fluid Management in Neurosurgical Patients
13. Fluid Therapy in Traumatic Brain Injury
14. Fluid Therapy in Pre-eclampsia and Eclampsia
15. Fluid Management in the Ventilated Patient
16. Calculation of Fluids
Fluid therapy is one of the most basic interventions spanning across all medical and surgical disciplines. Physicians need to understand the physiology of fluids and electrolytes before they can evaluate the extent to which disease pathophysiology has altered the balance, enabling them to determine the type and quantity of intravenous fluids required for treatment.
This new edition is a practical guide to intravenous fluids and their administration to surgical patients.
Divided into sixteen sections, the text begins with an overview of normal water balance and distribution of body fluid.
The next sections cover the pharmacology of different types of intravenous fluid, followed by discussion on fluid therapy in different medical circumstances, and concluding with a chapter on fluid calculation.
The second edition has been fully revised to provide the latest information in the field, and features new topics including fluid choice in the perioperative period and surgery and stress response.
- Fully revised, new edition presenting latest information on intravenous fluids in surgery
- Discusses different types of fluid and their application in different circumstances
- Second edition includes several new topics
- Previous edition (9789350903957) published in 2013
Shaila Shodhan Kamat MBBS DA MD Anesthesiology
Professor and Head, Department of Anaesthesiology and ICU, Goa Medical College, Bambolim, Goa, India