Ran Schwarzkopf MD MSc
Head of the Joint Replacement Service, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical School, California, USA
Total hip arthroplasty, or hip replacement, is a surgical procedure in which the hip joint is replaced by a prosthetic implant. It is one of the most common orthopaedic operations.
Modern Techniques in Total Hip Arthroplasty is a step by step guide to hip replacement for orthopaedic surgeons. Beginning with an introduction to the technique and its early development, the following chapters examine every surgical approach for total hip replacement, from basic procedures to complex techniques.
Each technique is presented in a systematic manner, describing the process itself, indications, contraindications, and possible complications.
Written by recognised California-based expert Ran Schwarzkopf, this practical book is highly illustrated with clinical photographs, radiograph and illustrations to help surgeons visualise each step of the procedure.
- Step by step guide to total hip replacement
- Covers every surgical approach, from basic to complex procedures
- Authored by recognised California-based expert Ran Schwarzkopf
- Includes nearly 300 clinical photographs, radiographs, illustrations and tables
Table of Contents
1. Drivers of Hip Replacement Surgery
2. Early Development of Total Hip Arthroplasty
3. Total Hip Arthroplasty—Templating
4. Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty
5. The Modified Lateral Approach for Total Hip Replacement
6. Posterolateral Approach to the Hip
7. The Northern Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty
8. Cemented Total Hip Arthroplasty
9. Uncemented Total Hip Arthroplasty
10. Computer-Assisted Hip Arthroplasty
11. Proximal Femoral Reconstruction in Hip Arthroplasty
12. Treating the Degenerative Dysplastic Hip
13. Acetabular Protrusio
14. Treatment of Total Hip Arthroplasty Periprosthetic Femoral Fractures
15. Total Hip Replacement for Treatment of Acetabular Fractures
16. Total Hip Arthroplasty for Treatment of Displaced Femoral Neck Fractures
17. Conversion Total Hip Arthroplasty for Treatment of Failed Hip Fracture Fixation
18. Complications after Total Hip Replacement
19. Pain Management and Regional Anesthesia for Total Hip Arthroplasty