This book provides an up to date review of current recommendations for the management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes and its related complications.
Beginning with an introduction to diabetes, the following chapters examine the management of related disorders including hypertension, heart failure, diabetic neuropathy, diabetic foot, diabetic nephropathy, eye disorders and sexual dysfunction. Diabetes in pregnancy and in children is also discussed.
Separate chapters are dedicated to self-monitoring of blood glucose and to diabetes registry, a central database that collects information on patients with diabetes, to help clinicians manage and control the disease. The text also offers guidelines for the management of diabetic patients during religious fasting, international travel and shift work.
Written by an internationally recognised specialist from University of Arizona
College of Medicine, this comprehensive book includes more than 70 clinical
photographs, diagrams and tables to enhance understanding.
- Comprehensive review of current recommendations for management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Covers numerous related complications and their treatment
- Includes chapter on diabetes registry
- Authored by recognised specialist from University of Arizona College of Medicine
Table of Contents
1. Diabetes - An Introduction
2. Diabetes Registry
3. Epidemiology in the Management of Diabetes
4. Management of Diabetes in Primary Care
5. Use of HgA1c in Clinical Practice
6. Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose (SMBG)
7. Nutritional and Exercise Management of Diabetes
8. Oral Agents in the Treatment of Diabetic Patients
9. Insulin Therapy in Diabetic Patients
10. Care of Pregnant Diabetic Patients
11. Type 2 Diabetes in Youth
12. Management of Hyperlipidemia in Diabetic Patients
13. Management of Hypertension in Diabetic Patients
14. Diabetic Neuropathy
15. Foot Care for Patients with Diabetes
16. Management of Eye Disorders in Diabetic Patients
17. Management of Diabetic Nephropathy
18. Management of Heart Failure in Diabetes
19. Sexual dysfunction in Diabetes
20. Diabetes in Special Situation
Jayendra H Shah MD FACP FACE
Chief of Staff, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System; Network Research Officer, Southwest Veterans Integrated Service Network; Professor of Medicine and Radiology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, USA