Intrauterine insemination (IUI), also known as artificial insemination, is a fertility treatment that uses a catheter to place washed sperm directly into the uterus. Its aim is to increase the number of sperm reaching the fallopian tubes and subsequently increase the chances of fertilisation (American Pregnancy Association).
The second edition of Intrauterine Insemination brings physicians and trainees fully up to date with the latest developments in the technique.
Divided into 48 chapters, this comprehensive guide covers every aspect of the procedure, from patient selection and clinical assessment of couples, to ovarian induction, predictors of ovarian response, modulation of sperm motility, and sperm banking. The finals sections describe data management issues, sex pre-selection, and regulation of assisted reproductive technologies.
- New edition presenting latest developments in IUI
- Covers all aspects of the procedure
- Includes more than 150 images, illustrations and tables
- Previous edition published in 200
1. Molecular Regulation of Key Events that Play a Role in Successful Mammalian Fertilization. 2. Spermatogenesis, Sperm Maturation and Sperm-Oocyte Interaction in Human 3. Patient Selection and Management to Optimize Success in an Intrauterine Insemination Program. 4. IUI: Indications, Results and Outcomes. 5. Intrauterine Insemination as a Treatment Option in Resource Limited Medical Settings. 6. First-line Treatment for Unexplained Infertility in Women over 40 Years of Age-ovulation Induction and IUI, or IVF? 7. Ovulation Induction for IUI. 8. Predictors of Ovarian Response to Stimulation for Intrauterine Insemination. 9. Role of Recombinant Gonadotropins in an IUI Program-Current Protocols. 10. Recombinant FSH versus Clomiphene Citrate for Ovarian Stimulation in Couples with Unexplained Infertility and Male Subfertility Undergoing IUI. 11. The use of GnRH Antagonists in Ovarian Stimulation for Intrauterine Insemination. 12. Clomiphene Citrate Stimulated or Natural Cycle IUI?. 13. Aromatase Inhibitors versus Clomiphene Citrate for Superovulation in Patients with Unexplained Infertility Undergoing IUI. 14. Strategies in Prevention of the Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome 15. Efficacy of Unstimulated Intrauterine Insemination in Advanced Age Women. 16. How to Set Up a Laboratory for an IUI Program. 17. Novel Methods for Sperm Separation and Isolation. 18. Intrauterine Insemination Techniques. 19. The Influence of Timing Intrauterine Insemination and the Number of Inseminations on Pregnancy Outcome 20. Single versus Double Intrauterine Insemination in Multi-follicular Ovarian Hyperstimulation Cycles. 21. Endometrial Thickness and Pregnancy Outcome after Intrauterine Insemination. 22. Ultrasound in the Investigation and Monitoring of Infertility. 23. Can Periovulatory Follicular Volumen and Vascularization Determined by 3D and Power Doppler Sonography Predict the IUI Outcome?. 24. Evaluation of the Impact of Sperm Characteristics on the Outcome of Intrauterine Insemination. 25. Modulation of Sperm Motility. 26. The Physiology of the Spermatozoon and the use of Digitally Enhanced Sperm Analysis in Predicting Pregnancy after Intrauterine Insemination. 27. Effect of Swim-up and Gradient as Semen Preparation Techniques on the Outcome of Intrauterine Insemination. 28. Effect of Male Factor on Pregnancy Outcome in Patients Undergoing Intrauterine Insemination. 29. Sperm Surface Antibodies: IUI or IVF. 30. Luteal Phase Support during Intrauterine Insemination Cycles-does it Influence the Outcome? 31. Luteal Phase Support in Stimulated Intrauterine Insemination Cycles: Is there a Need for it?. 32. Efficacy and Safety of IUI in HIV Serodiscordant Couples where the Man is Positive. 33. Complications of Intrauterine Insemination. 34. Stimulated IVF with Elective Single Embryo Transfer Versus IUI for Unexplained Subfertility. 35. Goals and Significance of Semen Cryopreservation for IUI. 36. Human Sperm Banking. 37. The Value of Semen Cryopreservation Combined with IUI for Infertile Men with Oligozoospermia and Asthenozoospermia. 38. Assessment of Sperm Cryodamage and Strategies to Improve Outcome. 39. The Significance of Excess Oocyte Aspiration and Vitrification in Patients Undergoing Stimulated IUI. 40. IVF Conversion to IUI in Poor Responders to Gonadotropin Stimulation: Is it Advantageous?. 41. Intrauterine Insemination versus Fallopian Tube Sperm Perfusion for Non-tubal Subfertility. 42. The Role of the Andrologist in an Intrauterine Insemination Program. 43. Role of the Nurse Coordinator in an IUI Program. 44. Data Management for an IUI Clinic. 45. Is there a Role for Intrauterine Insemination in the 2000's?. 46. Computerization of an Andrology and IUI Program. 47. Sex Pre selection; A Never Ending Story. 48. Regulation of Assisted Reproductive Technologies Including IUI Programs.Index
Gautam N Allahbadia MD DNB FNAMS
Consultant Fertility Physician, Dr LH Hiranandani Centre for Human Reproduction, Mumbai; Director IVF, The Prince Aly Khan Centre for Human Reproduction, Mumbai; Scientific Director, Rotunda - The Centre for Human Reproduction, Mumbai, India
Rubina Merchant MD
Deccan Fertility Clinic, Rotunda – The Centre for Human Reproduction, Mumbai, India