Fiberoptic bronchoscopy is a procedure that allows a clinician to examine
the airways by placing a thin tube-like instrument through the nose or mouth
and down into the lungs. The tube sends pictures back to a video screen or camera.
The procedure can be either diagnostic, to diagnose lung disease, or therapeutic
to treat some lung conditions.
This atlas is a practical guide to the diagnosis and treatment of lung conditions using fiberoptic bronchoscopy.
Beginning with an introduction to the history and application of the procedure, and discussion on normal and abnormal patterns of bronchial anatomy, the following sections present X-Ray, CT and bronchoscopic pictures of numerous cases encountered by the author. Each case is
described in detail, highlighting possible complications and contraindications. A separate chapter is dedicated to paediatric bronchoscopy.
A set of case studies on brochoscopic findings in benign and malignant pulmonary diseases has been included to help clinicians apply their knowledge.
- Practical guide to diagnosis and treatment of lung diseases using fiberoptic bronchoscopy
- Presents numerous cases seen by the author
- Case studies of benign and malignant pulmonary diseases enhance learning
- Includes more than 450 X-Rays, CT images and bronchoscopic pictures
Table of Contents
1. History of Bronchoscopy
2. Normal Bronchial Anatomy and Nomenclature
3. Abnormal Patterns of Bronchial Anatomy
4. Machine and Instrumentation
5. Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization of Fiberoptic Bronchoscopes and Other Accessories
6. Indications and Contraindications for Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy
7. Prerequisites for Performing Bronchoscopy
8. Topical Anesthesia
9. Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy Procedure
10. Specimen Collection
11. Staging of Bronchogenic Carcinoma by Bronchoscopy
13. Bronchoscopy-induced Hemorrhage
14. Pediatric Bronchoscopy
15. Advances in Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy
16. Case Reports—Bronchoscopic Findings in Benign Pulmonary Diseases
17. Case Reports—Bronchoscopic Findings in Malignant Pulmonary Diseases
Rajendra Prasad MD DTCD FAMS FCCP (USA) FNCCP FCAI FIAB FIMSA
DSC (Honoris Causa)
Professor of Pulmonary Medicine and Director, Uttar Pradesh Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Saifai, Etawah, Uttar Pradesh, India