This book is a step by step guide to intrauterine insemination (IUI). Divided into seven sections, the first provides an overview of IUI and general aspects of preparation for the procedure. The following sections discuss andrology, ovulation, IUI in special circumstances, for example with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV); procedures and results. The final chapter examines future challenges for IUI.
With more than 100 images and illustrations, this book is a practical, step by step guide for practising gynaecologists, as well as postgraduate students.
- Practical, step by step guide to intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Includes chapter on use of IUI in special circumstances, such as with PCOS, HIV and endometriosis
- More than 100 images and illustrations
Table of Contents
- SECTION 1: General
- 1. Intrauterine Insemination—An Overview
- 2. Physiology of Ovulation with Special Reference to Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation
- 3. Physiological Aspect of Semen and Sperm with Special Reference to Intrauterine Insemination
- 4. Indications and Selection Criteria in an Intrauterine Insemination Program
- 5. Role of Laparoscopy before Intrauterine Insemination
- 6. Counseling in Intrauterine Insemination Program
- 7. Setting up a Clinic and Laboratory in Intrauterine Insemination Program
- SECTION 2: Andrology
- 8. Semen Analysis According to WHO Criteria
- 9. Semen Collection
- 10. Semen Preparation for Intrauterine Insemination
- 11. IUI in Male Subfertility: How it Affects Outcome of IUI?
- 12. Semen Freezing and use in Intrauterine Insemination
- SECTION 3: Ovulation
- 13. Ovarian Stimulation for Intrauterine Insemination— An Introduction
- 14. Natural Cycle Intrauterine Insemination
- 15. Clomiphene/Letrozole Stimulation in Intrauterine Insemination
- 16. Gonadotropin Stimulation in Intrauterine Insemination
- 17. GnRH Antagonists in Intrauterine Insemination
- 18. Role of Adjuvants for Ovulation Induction in IUI Cycles
- SECTION 4: Special Situations
- 1. Role of Intrauterine Insemination in Unexplained Infertility
- 2. Intrauterine Insemination in Endometriosis
- 3. Intrauterine Insemination in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- 4. Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Intrauterine Inseminations
- SECTION 5: Procedures
- 5. Monitoring in Intrauterine Insemination Cycle
- 6. IUI Techniques and Difficulties Faced During Insemination
- 7. Role of Luteal Phase Support in IUI
- 8. Complications of Intrauterine Insemination
- 9. Ethical and Legal Aspects of Intrauterine Insemination
- 10. Guidelines in Intrauterine Insemination Program
- SECTION 6: Results
- 11. Intrauterine Insemination: How to Make it Cost-effective?
- 12. Pregnancy Outcome and Follow-up in IUI Cycles
- 13. Why Intrauterine Insemination Fails?
- 14. How to Improve the Success in Intrauterine Insemination Program?
- SECTION 7: IUI—Inception and Future
- 15. The History of Artificial Insemination
- 16. Future Challenges in Intrauterine Insemination
Gita Ganguly Mukherjee DGO MD FICOG FICMCH FRCOG Senior Consultant Gynaecologist, Former Professor and Head, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, R G Kar Medical College, Kolkata; President, R N Ganguly Foundation, Kolkata, India
B N Chakravarty MO FRCOG DSc Director, Institute of Reproductive Medicine, Kolkata, India