ABOUT THIS BOOK
- Few books are written specifically for the intensivist
- Section D is highly original since it offers goal-directed and focus-oriented ICU echocardiography
- Numerous step-by-step algorithms help the reader with hands-on ICU applications
Echocardiography has become an invaluable tool in intensive care medicine because of its ease of use and instantaneous provision of precise information on cardiovascular functional anatomy at the bedside. This book contains all the information that readers will require in order to perform echocardiography and lung ultrasound, and to interpret the findings correctly, permitting optimal guidance of the hemodynamic management of unstable patients. Furthermore, lung ultrasound is dealt with for both diagnosis and treatment of respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation.
After an introductory chapter on the essential physics of ultrasonography, standard echocardiographic examination via both the transthoracic and the transesophageal approach is described. In the third section, the functional anatomy of all normal and pathologic thoracic structures as observed on echocardiography is presented in detail. A wide range of basic and advanced applications of echocardiography in the emergency and intensive care setting are then described. A final supplementary section considers further applications of ultrasound in the intensive care unit, such as ultrasound-guided vein cannulation, Doppler renal evaluation, transcranial Doppler, and lung and pleural ultrasound
This superbly illustrated book has been specifically designed to meet the needs of all intensivists, emergency physicians, and anesthesiologists who intend to use ultrasound extensively to guide optimal management of the critically ill.
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Keywords » Critical Care - Echocardiography - Intensive Care - Ultrasound
Related subjects » Anesthesiology - Cardiology & Angiology - Critical Care & Emergency Medicine - Radiology
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Section 1: Ultrasonography and use of the Echo Machine:
- 1. Essential Physics of Ultrasound and Use of the Echo Machine.
Section 2: Standard Echocardiographic Examination.
- 2. Ultrasound Anatomy of the Heart:Transthoracic (TTE) Examination.
- 3. TTE in the ICU: The Patient Difficult to Study.
- 4. Ulrasound Anatomy of the Heart: Transesophageal (TEE) Examination.
- 5. Three-dimensional Echocardiography.
Section 3: Essential Functional Echo-anatomy.
- 6. The Left Ventricle.
- 7. The Right Ventricle and Pulmonary Artery.
- 8. Left and Right Atrium.
- 9. Pericardium and Pericardial Diseases.
- 10. The Aorta.
- 11. The Inferior and Superior Vena Cava.
- 12. Ischemia and Myocardial Infarction.
- 13. The Cardiomyopathies.
- 14. Cor Pulmonale and Pulmonary Hypertension.
- 15. The Mitral Valve.
- 16. The Aortic Valve.
- 17. Tricuspid and Pulmonary Valves.
- 18. Endocarditis.
- 19. Prosthetic Valve Evaluation.
- 20. Cardiac Tumors and Masses.
- 21. Congenital Septal Abnormalities in the Adult Patient.
- 22. Essentials of Pediatric Echocardiography.
Section 4: Echoradiography in the ICU and OR: Basic and Advanced Applications:
- 23. Echo-history, Echo-monitoring, Goal-directed, Focus-oriented Echo-anamnesis, and Comprehensive Examination.
- 24. Intraoperative Echocardiography in Cardiac Surgery.
- 25. General Hemodynamic Assessment.
- 26. Contrast Echocardiography in the ICU and OR.
- 27. Echo-tailored Management of Acute Ischemia.
- 28. Hypovolemia and Fluid-responsiveness.
- 29. ARDS, ALI, Mechanical Ventilation, and Weaning.
- 30. Hypotension.
- 31. Suspicion of Pulmonary Embolism.
- 32. Suspect of Acute Aortic Diseases.
- 33. Chest Pain.
- 34. Acute Dyspnea.
- 35. Unexplained Hypoxemia.
- 36. Sepsis.
- 37. Chest Trauma.
- 38. Acute Atrial Fibrillation and other Arrhythmias.
- 39. The Multiorgan Donor and the Heart-transplanted Patient.
- 40. New-onset Cardiac Murmur.
- 41. ICU Echocardiography and Noninvasive Haemodynamic Monitoring: the Integrated Approach.
Section 5: Ultrasound in the ICU: Other Applications:
- 42. Echocardiography and Life Support.
- 43. Central and Peripheral Vein Cannulation.
- 44. Essential Ultrasound for Venous Thrombosis.
- 45. Lung and Pleural Ultrasonogrpahy in Emergency and Intensive Care.
- 46. Echo-FAST.
- 47. Doppler Ultrasound in Renal Failure.
- 48. Ultrasound for Percutaneous Tracheostomy.
- 49. Transcranial Doppler in the ICU.
- 50. Ultrasound of the Optic Nerve.- Appendix: Formulae and Normal Values.