For the past 50 years, the Association of Physicians of India (API) has been regularly publishing the API Textbook of Medicine. The Edition 10 was released in 2015 and now we have the Edition 11.
This book will meet the needs of the medical students and practicing clinicians. This book contains up-to-date information about the physiological, pathological, biological and clinical aspects of diseases with special stress laid on their Indian features and information collected from available Indian data. The book therefore is truly “Made in India”, but “Global” in perspective.
The theme of the book is “from bedside to the bench to clinical management of cases”. All the latest advances have been incorporated in this book and the contents have been modified and made as contemporary as possible.
The Highlights of the Book are:
- Expansion of the Section “Clinical Approach” with incorporation of all the commonly seen clinical problems in the medical wards. Clinical cases and examples have been highlighted in many chapters. This will appeal to the medical students and the practicing clinicians.
- The section on “Infectious Diseases”
- Being a book published in India, a detailed description of the common infections and infestations prevalent in our country is available.
- In addition, emerging infections like H1N1 influenza, SARS have been adequately covered, so also Zika virus and Nipah Virus infections.
- Travel Medicine has emerged as an important subspeciality and therefor given due weightage in this edition.
- In the very last section are grouped various topics that are emerging subspecialities. They are Travel Medicine, Futuristic Medicine, Regenerative Medicine, Insurance Medicine, Communication Skills and Medical Ethics. The landmark judgement of the Supreme Court (2018) for “end of life decisions” has been very well elaborate in the chapter of “Palliative Medicine”.
- “Environment” is an important and topical subject today. A balanced environment will help in prevention and control of most lifestyle and communicable diseases. This has been taken into consideration when formulating the section on “Environmental Medicine
The readers will definitely appreciate the in-depth description of diseases given by each author. The authors have been invited from all parts of the country – Kashmir to Kanyakumari and Gujarat to the Northeast States have been represented.
This book will be useful for students, physicians and as a reference book for clinicians from other specialties like surgery, obstetrics and Gynaecology, orthopaedics, ENT, ophthalmology, community medicine and others. Even paediatricians will find this book worth reading.